• Register Today It's free!

cargo light leak

01DeepBlue

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I tried finding this using the search function but I saw nothing for 1st gen. Sport Trac.
I have a leak coming from my cargo light. It leaks pretty good. I called Ford and they don't sell just the gasket. They only sell the entire light with the gasket which is just ridiculous. They didn't say if it was an improved version either.
Other than using silicone RTV which I refuse to stoop to what is a good solution here? What exactly is the area where it leaks most? Is it the screws, gasket, uneven sheetmetal, etc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried finding this using the search function but I saw nothing for 1st gen. Sport Trac.
I have a leak coming from my cargo light. It leaks pretty good. I called Ford and they don't sell just the gasket. They only sell the entire light with the gasket which is just ridiculous. They didn't say if it was an improved version either.
Other than using silicone RTV which I refuse to stoop to what is a good solution here? What exactly is the area where it leaks most? Is it the screws, gasket, uneven sheetmetal, etc?

Have you considered removing the light and bad gasket and using it as a template to make a new one?

You can buy gasket maker roll for pretty cheap and make your own custom gaskets. This is assuming that the gasket is of the flat rubber/paper type and not a rubber bushing type gasket like say a valve cover.

Good Luck!

I had the same problem, I removed the third brake light and used 3m double side tape to re-seal the light housing that way.

I had to do the 3m tape as well, but it has totally stopped the leak!

If you sealed the third brake light and it's still leaking than I'd take the roof rack rails of and seal them up with windshield black RTV sealant in the bolt holes. I did this as well.

Back