Carry a Fire Extinguisher! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carry a Fire Extinguisher!

This happend out at t-haven over new years. They fell ito a whole trnny fluid leaked on to a header and the fire started, after that it is belived the rubber fuel lines went in the engine bay and the rest is history. As you can see many fire extinguishers were used and it still went up, but these things can get away from you so quickly.

flamingnutz005.jpg

I almost lost mine durning the cage install a few years back when some padding behind a pannel caught fire. if it wasn't for a handy fire extinguisher I would have lost the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I e-mailed Powertank awhile back asking about a dual duty system.
The response was sorry but due to design not possible. I told them to put there thinging caps back on!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow that'll ruin your day!!

Polyperformance and others have these trick quick-release fire extinguisher mounts that will hang onto your extinguisher better than the cheap plastic clamps that they come with.

PPM-4014-D4-400.jpg

PPM-4014-D2-400.jpg

LINK

Found this on YouTube.

I was at Lowes the other night, two of them actually, and on the end of one of the isles by the hardware section they have their fire extinguishers which included a 10 lb ABC model for $60ish and a $5 or $10 mounting bracket that would be great for vehicle use. I'm gonna get me one =D

I can say from personal experience that a fire extinguisher is a lifesaver. In the beginning of May my mom's 97 explorer caught fire due to a broken fuel rail. Fortunately this happened as I was pulling up at the house, and not on the highway somewhere. I did not have an extinguisher in the '97, however, I was able to jump out and grab the one I carry in my '91, and put out the fire before anything was severely damaged. Lost the upper intake, the hood blanket and the engine and transmission wiring harnesses. The one I used was the Kiddie "automotive" extinguisher from wal-mart, that I bought on a whim about a year before, thinking, you know, this is probably a good idea. Had I not had that, we would have lost the 97, as well as my dad's F-150 that I parked next to.

You could also set up a system like those used in race cars, just hit the switch and it'll put out a fire in a hurry.

thoose are a PITA. my cousin races legends cars and the come on at the worst of time randomly, one minute your willing the race, next your covered in white powder wondering wtf just happened....

Back