Where to mount the fire extinguisher? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to mount the fire extinguisher?

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Where has everyone mounted thier fire extinguishers at and with what hardware. I'm worried about mounting it in the rear because the plastic seems thin. Any ideas or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve had mine in the back above the cubby on the pass side. Been there about 3 years seems fine.

CADDYBILL: What hardware did you use. Did you use some self tapping screws and that was it or did you use some type of reinforcement. It's just that the molding seems so thin. What you think?

I did'nt use anything special. they might have been self tapping. the fire extinguisher I have is about 1 foot long( you know the standerd small one) and i'm using a metal mount.

i have mine mounted by the rear door lock on the driver side rear window. mine came with a plastic moutning clip. i drilled to holes into the plastic and got a piece of metal strap (it came as a 4 foot section at the hardware. then i used 2" sheet metal screws with washers and nuts. it was tight above the rear window washer fluid resevior. it looks good and it functional. kmart had a sale on extenguishers for $8 a piece. they are about 1liter each. i have on ein th etool box, 2 in the house, one in the shop, and the one in the back of the x. i think that they are invaluable. luckily ive never had to use them on my stuff, but my friends chysler lebaren caught on fire and i put it out quickly without even using a whole canister.

a smart investment in my opinion.

a smart investment in my opinion

I actualy have three of them in my Caddy. ! under the seat, 2 in the trunk.

I also have mine mounted in the back on the windowsill by the door lock switch. It's been there for about 2 years and I haven't had any problems. I used the plastic mount that came with it and self tapping screws to go into the plastic. One of the screws is longer and taps into a metal plate that's under there. I know it's sturdy cause when you shake the extinguisher with your hand, it shakes the whole truck.

Thanks everyone!

That was the exact info I've looking for! Thanks again!

i dunno, i thin kit is just me, but i can't seem to picture it (it has been a long day at work) Can someone post a pic of where it is mounted

i dont have a pic but if you can visualize opening up the the liftgate. look to your left like you were looking out of the rear driverside window, on my xlt i have power locks and there is a PL button on the window cill may be 6" from the rear, i then mounted my extinguisher 4" or so infront of the switch. its almost directly over the rear wheel well. it is over the rear storage compartment.

i totally understand the long doosy of a day. im on my 3rd cup o joe since lunch and i want to go home and sleep.

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN

i totally understand the long doosy of a day. im on my 3rd cup o joe since lunch and i want to go home and sleep.

Yeah i think i have had like 8 today, and a normal day i only have like 2. It's been realy hard here in the hospital since the 11th, so much security on my equipment and stuff, and it's only getting worse.....but it's for the better. BTW i work with controlled Radioactive treatments for cancer/tumor patients, so everyone is worried someone is gonna steal my radioactive Pharmesuticals!

man since my last post work livened up. we were evacuated after someon ein the mail room DELIVERED i suspicious package to the plant manager!!! the manager called the fire department and police. we are a fortune 500 printing company and we are in a small town less than 10k people, so this was a big deal. it was hilarious as the chief of police walked up to the package (which someone had moved outside with rubbergloves and a gas mask) he looked at it, it was handwritten no return address manila envelope. he picked i tup and smelled it. i thought that half of the people standing there were going to have a heart attack. he opened it up and it was a JC crew catalogue. no powder. im dying from laughing so hard. the manager was so embarrassed. oh well. it made for a good story for the day.

i bet its tight where you are. sounds like a pretty cool job though.

LMAO that is hilarious. Yeah i like my job it's not bad, we jsut have our busy seasons

View

Alec - I want to mount mine there, but its really tight fit. Meaning that my release lever is facing the window and it doesn't seem to be a quick and easy access. If I turn it toward the rear of the truck then the nozzle is up against the window. It looks like we have the same size extinguishers. Which directionis the release facing I couldn't tell from the pic. Thanks.

the nozzle is facing the window.

Here's a shot of where I mounted mine. I ran longer screws through the plastic and into the sheet metal (inner wheel well liner) below. I cut the tips of the screws off short after I installed them, and I used silicone and undercoating to seal the screws in. I wrapped the extinguisher in foam rubber (a piece of water pipe insulation glued on with 3M adhesive) and grey carpet to keep it from vibrating and rattling against the plastic.

trkoutlet.jpg

You can pull out those plastic panel retainers, and put in screws. They go right into metal brackets already on the truck. This would be a great place to mount the fire extinguisher bracket.

Andy

Dead Link Removed

I have 1/4" thick piece od Aluminum about 2" x 6" under the plastic that I have 3, 1/4-20 screw going into it holding it all in place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Vibes,
I have mine mounted on the floor right next to the driver seat. If you come out to Frank Raines or Hollister Hills this Weekend, you can check it out. It coesn't get in my way at all.

Back