• Register Today It's free!

cat converter

think_7500

Reaction score
City, State
CORONA,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4X4 EDDIE BAUER
so, i went to get my x smogged and it failed. tech said that i needed to replace the cat converter, which im pretty sure is what i need to replace. However, the muffler shop i went to said i need to buy the double (fron& rear i think) My ? is being that I am going to be spending almost 3 bills on the converter, what is the "best" overall cat i can get? I would rather spend more money now and get a really good one.... also, my dad says that these bolt on (can I put it on myself?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm... good questions. Hi there. If you have a 93 and that is the original cat converter that's failing, it sounds like you would be doing fine by getting an oem and saving money. But if I can ask, you say the tech said to replace the cat converter, and you are not quite sure that's the problem? In CA a copy of the printout is sent electronically to the state. What does your printout say the problem is?

well i failed on the emissions part of the test. I am pretty sure that it is the cat, because i recently replaced the engine in my x cause my dad blew the engine. a couple of people who i talked to said that more than likely crap (i think they said metal particles) got forced into the converter when the engine blew. Also, my dad told me that there was no problem with the emissions when he smogged the x previously. I it would help, i can scan my smog test on mon when i go to work. so you guys can take a look the results. Still unsure whether i will be able to put the cat on myself. Im not taking any action till friday because of funds, so any input will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know the mechanical aspects of this situation, but here is my perspective:

If the engine is under warranty, and it failed, it may have damaged the cat converter as well. If that is not possible, the people that you talked to about the metal particulates sound like they stand to gain if you spend more money.

If the engine was installed by professionals, they don't need to know that your dad had anything to do with it because they can't prove he did, and if they know, doesn't matter. What I hear is that you are spending money... and that you have people around you that maybe are waiting to get more money from you. My advice is not to spend any money until you have both smog certificates reviewed by professionals, and have that engine warranty (if you have one) reviewed by a disinterested third party... you might not be paying for anything... This is not legal advice. But you might want to step out of that circle of advisers and get to a dealership service department and ask questions there too. As for the cat converter install, get the engine situation figured out first...

Lake Elsinore is open today 10-4... see what they say.

well u can put the cat by your self it just a bolt on affair it has 3 bolts in the front and two in the rear i believe. might wanna check online like magnaflow and summitracing etc they em for less than what LMC is charging.

If your going tp change it you mught as well get a...

high flow model. When I had my exhaust changed to a high flow system from in front of the cat, they recommended a magnaflow cat as well as muff.

I live in nuevo, near hemet. close to you. i have an old stock one you can try.

Magnaflow direct fit, less then $100 on Ebay.
Cost me $75.

I had the same problem when I want thought inspection if u fail for emission I going to say it is the cat I paid 230.00 for mine from parts amerce and put in myself the top bolt is a pain in the ass to get to just to let u know

installing the cat

so, i got a cat conveter for my x , and a few people are saying that it is a pain in the ass to put in.... I bought the bolt in front/rear made by Catco. What type of time frame am i looking at? and what tools am I going to need to get it done?

I had a shop do mine. I think it's worth the $80 or so & let a shop deal with it.

I watched them though. They torched the bolts off.

so, i got a cat conveter for my x , and a few people are saying that it is a pain in the ass to put in.... I bought the bolt in front/rear made by Catco. What type of time frame am i looking at? and what tools am I going to need to get it done?

There are five bolts, 14 or 15mm IIRC, and with a little penetrating oil and a small floor jack, it can be done in about 20 minutes.

Back