Cell Phone Mount | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cell Phone Mount

I saw a similar mount called "Steelie" and was pretty interested until I read some reviews.

The magnets can interfere with the GPS and the motherboard in the phone. Also can wipe out credit cards, room keys, work key cards, etc if the phone with the magnets is placed too close to your wallet.

I wasn't willing to take a chance on having any damage done so I decided to skip on using magnets. Glad to hear yours has been no problem as have other reviews I've read.

What's nice about the Panavise mounts is they are very secure and near you, so you can press icons on your phone without the phone moving. When driving the phone is secure. No shaking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem on data being lost since using these magnets. They are strong and hold the phone in place. I haven't had experienced phone drop but they do slide sometimes when making selection.

Proclip USA makes the best car mounts. They have a mount for every car (in multiple positions on the dash) and for virtually every device...phones, GPS, tablets, mp3 players, ipods ect...ect..
The best thing is they are made specific for the vehicle and hook into the existing trim as shown in one of the pics. No drilling, screws, double sided tape ect.
I have used them for years in many vehicles. A little pricey but well worth it.
IMG_1420_zps286df3b7.jpg
IMG_1419_zpse913c8ef.jpg
IMG_1417_zps7812d0e4.jpg
IMG_1416_zpsae815233.jpg
IMG_1422_zps08be9e09.jpg
IMG_1423_zps8913ca28.jpg

What cell phone mount are you using?

I just purchased a 2015 Explorer and the only thing getting on my nerves is the mounting options for a cell phone. I always like mounting my phones within arms reach so I can browse Facebook while I am driving.......Just kidding! Seriously though, I like being able to use the phone while stopped at red lights and what not. It seems the window is to far away for a suction mount and there is no room near the shift column.

I'm just trying to get a few ideas and maybe some pictures as to where and what you used to mount your phone.

Panavise. Made specific for the Ex. The cell phone holder attaches to the below pictured mounting bracket (shop around for a better deal than below).

You just take the silver molding off, unscrew a MFT screw, and screw the bracket back in and put the trim back on (directions included). Could not be more firm for touch screen operation of your cell phone just like the MFT. Just as easy reach and perfectly angled for the driver's seat.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pvp-75107-211?seid=srese1&gclid=CNrd7aeMuMICFUwV7Aodsk8Atw

A 'search' brought up this thread to which I have moved your thread. There aren't too many things that haven't already been discussed regarding the 5th generation Explorer.

Peter

I just keep mine on my belt as all the info comes up on the MFT and have no need for another distraction.

I just keep mine on my belt as all the info comes up on the MFT and have no need for another distraction.

I know what you're saying and for most people the MFT is perfectly fine.

I need access to my phone to send and receive emails during my commute while sitting at one of the many traffic lights. I'm also a podcast addict and they need to be selected on the phone before being played over Bluetooth. Lastly, when traveling or driving in to new areas, I like running an app that warns me of upcoming speed traps and speed cameras.

Panavise. Made specific for the Ex. The cell phone holder attaches to the below pictured mounting bracket (shop around for a better deal than below).

You just take the silver molding off, unscrew a MFT screw, and screw the bracket back in and put the trim back on (directions included). Could not be more firm for touch screen operation of your cell phone just like the MFT. Just as easy reach and perfectly angled for the driver's seat.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pvp-75107-211?seid=srese1&gclid=CNrd7aeMuMICFUwV7Aodsk8Atw

Thank you. I'll check it out.

What comes up on the MFT for you? I just see who called. My HTC Senation does not show song title (says "Unknown song" on the MFT) and does not read texts over the speakers via the MFT, though I have an app that does it automatically for me over Bluetooth so that is moot.

There are lots of apps where you would want to see and touch the cell phone screen, like album art and song title on Pandora (or for your own songs as song titles don't show on MFT for my phone), your playlists so you can change streaming songs/playlists, map for Google Nav for those without Nav (or who prefer Google Nav), app widget to hit so your emails are read over your speakers via Bluetooth, calendar widget which can read your schedule over Bluetooth, general voice command widget for other cell phone apps, etc.

The Car Home app is great because it makes app icons/widgets large - six big ones per screen. My primary use is I have all my 20+ playlists as large icons, six per cell phone screen page, where you swipe left or right to get to the others, and just tap the one for the desired named playlist. Handy when the phone is mounted next to the MFT on a Panavise mount.

My phone integrates with the MFT system way better than my wife's iPhone. I have a Windows phone and MFT plays very nicely with Cortana. I can create texts (iPhone cant), respond to texts (iPhone can't), place calls (iPhone can), create emails (iPhone can't), open apps on the phone (iPhone can't), pretty much anything. Maybe because MFT is Microsoft based but Cortana works SO much better than Siri. I literally leave my phone in my pocket the entire time I'm driving and rarely have a need to pull it out. MFT will even load my phonebook from my phone INCLUDING contact pictures! So when I go to the phonebook on MFT it shows their pic (usually their FB profile pic because that's how I have my phone set up). I know people have their opinions on Windows phones but I'll tell you that when it's paired with MFT it puts the iPhone to shame.

ProClip! It's a no-brainer. Register your email n wait for a discount mail...

Really people, you don't need a distraction while driving. Put the phones away and concentrate on driving and there will be less accidents and fatalities.

Really people, you don't need a distraction while driving. Put the phones away and concentrate on driving and there will be less accidents and fatalities.

Then the MFT and two programmable screens on either side of the instrument cluster should be removed too.

The key is to be a smart and disciplined driver and only use your cell and the above while stopped off the road or quickly enough while stopped at a traffic light.

That's where I keep mine as well. It's in a case that clips to my belt.

Peter

I bought a MagicMount from Walmart for 10 dollars.
Here's a link. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Scosch...evices-Black/39816260?type=shop-by-department

Basically the magnet 3m tape to stick onto the gray plastic next to the mft. I placed it on the left side closer to the wheel. The next thing is to place the metal piece back on the phone. Then voila.. Your phone sticks right on there and it's very sturdy. Does no fall at all unless you grab it. I've taken many long trips and never had a problem. Mind you I use Google Maps and did not have a single signal problem. Ill post a picture when I get a chance tomorrow.

I saw a similar mount called "Steelie" and was pretty interested until I read some reviews.

The magnets can interfere with the GPS and the motherboard in the phone. Also can wipe out credit cards, room keys, work key cards, etc if the phone with the magnets is placed too close to your wallet.

I wasn't willing to take a chance on having any damage done so I decided to skip on using magnets. Glad to hear yours has been no problem as have other reviews I've read.

I have a similar phone holder. It's called the imagnet and it's really cool. Just pop and go...

I have a similar phone holder. It's called the imagnet and it's really cool. Just pop and go...
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I believe you are the first member here with a Ford Everest.;)

Peter

I put a pro clip in mine right away. It's got an OEM appearance to it and it is also free of extraneous detail seen on generic mounts. The phone pops in and stays solid, yet easy to retrieve to put back into the pocket. Finding an optimal position has been easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is an old thread but I'll chime in anyway. I LOVE wireless charging as it prevents the wearing of the only part of cell phones to wear out in the past and that's the charge port connector. I have LG G2/3 phones with wireless backs and an iPhone 6s (company) with a cheap wireless coil on the back under the case. The iOttie Qi suction cup mount works really well. It's not the cheapest but it works. I had to use a different 12v-USB adapter that generates more output to charge my LG. But that was easily done. The only challenge in the install was wiring the 12v female adapter into the fuse block. Not that it's difficult to make the connection - but a PITA to get to the fuse block. The engineer on this should have to change a fuse daily (or lose his job) for putting the fuse block behind 2 panels with access on your back on the driver floor. Ridiculous.

Back