Cell Phone Mount | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cell Phone Mount

In my old 02 Sport the cigarette lighter was near the steering wheel which made for a nice place to mount a articulating phone mount.

I can't find a good spot to mount my phone so I can easily see it's display. It ends up sitting in a cup holder.

Anyone have pictures of a better phone mount option?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my old 02 Sport the cigarette lighter was near the steering wheel which made for a nice place to mount a articulating phone mount.

I can't find a good spot to mount my phone so I can easily see it's display. It ends up sitting in a cup holder.

Anyone have pictures of a better phone mount option?
A quick search using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature brought up this thread to which yours has been moved.

Peter

Says it won't work with Platinum and only with standard radios. So that Excludes sports with the Sony stereo and Nav?
I believe the Limited, Sport and Platinum have the same radio setup. For 2017 the same upgraded radio is in the Sport and Platinum.

Peter

Says it won't work with Platinum and only with standard radios. So that Excludes sports with the Sony stereo and Nav?

I don't know. I went by the trim it attaches to. Mine has the 8" MFT with auto climate controls and it works.

They have two others, if you search by make/model/year.

This is what I use mounted to the left of MFT . NOthing mounted to phone. I placed the small metal very thin plate inside back of my case.
SCOSCHE MAGDM MAGNETIC DASH MOUNT FOR PORTABLE MOBILE DEVICES MAGICMOUNT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Scosche...519899?hash=item4402f7079b:g:amUAAOSwT-FZDL-J

This holds my Iphone 7, my phone plugs in and is within reach without distraction. NO MUSS NO Fuss and when my phone is off it is just a small metal block with a rubber face.

Ill get some pics later and post

Since this seems to be the general phone mount thread, just thought I'd share one I came across. Possibly the best I've found because its not device or vehicle specific, and can really hold tight without use of adhesives or clips. I'll take a pic later and share mine. https://www.breffo.com/products/breffo-spiderpodium

Since this seems to be the general phone mount thread, just thought I'd share one I came across. Possibly the best I've found because its not device or vehicle specific, and can really hold tight without use of adhesives or clips. I'll take a pic later and share mine. https://www.breffo.com/products/breffo-spiderpodium
I realize this isn't your first post but I just wanted to say, Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I realize this isn't your first post but I just wanted to say, Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Here's an example of this mount in the vehicle. I didn't have a phone to put in for display purposes, as I was using mine to take the picture, but I've used this with several models of phones, as well as several different vehicles.

https://flic.kr/p/TGBcuZ

Thanks!

I purchased a short Lightning cable to reduce the tangle and place my iPhone 7 Plus in the Sync compartment in front of the gear shifter. Having to open the compartment, grab the cable, plug it into the iPhone, stow the iPhone (the 7 plus only just fits) and then close the compartment is way too much work for me (I know... first world problem). I often find myself forgetting to remove the phone when I exit the vehicle since it's out of sight in the Sync compartment.

The Ford Explorer solutions for iPhones from proclipusa.com look promising because their mounts / holders incorporate the iPhone's Lightning cable. That is to say the Lightning cable (which you have to provide) clips into the holder so when you place your phone into the holder, you're also plugging in the lightning cable.

My problem is that they don't show you how to hide the cable to make for a clean installation.

ProClip uses both a mount and a holder. The mount attaches to your dash (or center console) and the holder attaches to the mount. You plug your phone into the holder which also has a clip for your cable.

Here's a link to the mount that attaches to the center vent on your dashboard (2016-2017 Ford Explorer):

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/ford/explorer/2016-2018/proclip-center-mount-855144-12946.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

You can attach their center mount product (specific to the 2016 - 2017 Explorer) to the center vents on the dashboard (no drilling required). Is it possible to run a lightning cable through the center dashboard vent and down into the Sync compartment? This would make for the clean (no unsightly wires) install I'm looking for. I'm happy to pay a pro (or my dealer if they can do it).

Thanks for any advice on the subject.

if you already have a suction cup mount and they didn't give you an adhesive disk, you can convert it to mount anywhere by using a pad with adhesive tape on it. Just make sure you measure the suction cup when in use since the surface area is larger. I would clean the area before using with a mild detergent and wipe dry if they didn't include a cleaning wipe, using solvents such as nail polish remover WILL melt the plastic:rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=adhesive+mounting+disk&rh=n:15684181,k:adhesive+mounting+disk&qid=1497253457&sort=price-asc-rank

I'm curious how people mount their cell phones in their Explorers. Would love to see some pics/ideas, especially from anyone with an iPhone X and if you can utilize wireless charging in the car...

I have an Arkin cell phone mount, I use the vent mount and it sits on the left side driver's air vent. I ran a long USB cable underneath the panels, under the dash, and up the side to the phone.

magnetic mount on my dash next to vent.. my cell has a very thin metal plate inside back of case ...
Love it have it in plain sight so it is functional without taking eyes off road.

magnetic mount on my dash next to vent.. my cell has a very thin metal plate inside back of case ...
Love it have it in plain sight so it is functional without taking eyes off road.

I’ll probably end up doing something like this. Are you using an adhesive magnetic mount?

I purchased a short Lightning cable to reduce the tangle and place my iPhone 7 Plus in the Sync compartment in front of the gear shifter. Having to open the compartment, grab the cable, plug it into the iPhone, stow the iPhone (the 7 plus only just fits) and then close the compartment is way too much work for me (I know... first world problem). I often find myself forgetting to remove the phone when I exit the vehicle since it's out of sight in the Sync compartment.

The Ford Explorer solutions for iPhones from proclipusa.com look promising because their mounts / holders incorporate the iPhone's Lightning cable. That is to say the Lightning cable (which you have to provide) clips into the holder so when you place your phone into the holder, you're also plugging in the lightning cable.

My problem is that they don't show you how to hide the cable to make for a clean installation.

ProClip uses both a mount and a holder. The mount attaches to your dash (or center console) and the holder attaches to the mount. You plug your phone into the holder which also has a clip for your cable.

Here's a link to the mount that attaches to the center vent on your dashboard (2016-2017 Ford Explorer):

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/ford/explorer/2016-2018/proclip-center-mount-855144-12946.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

You can attach their center mount product (specific to the 2016 - 2017 Explorer) to the center vents on the dashboard (no drilling required). Is it possible to run a lightning cable through the center dashboard vent and down into the Sync compartment? This would make for the clean (no unsightly wires) install I'm looking for. I'm happy to pay a pro (or my dealer if they can do it).

Thanks for any advice on the subject.
Did you end up running thecable through the dashboard to the Sync compartment? I'm thinking of doing the same thing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back