• Register Today It's free!

Change trans fluid at 81k?

rmelo99

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeport, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
Just trying to bang out as much preventative maintenance as possible while i'm still on the kick.

My 98 SOHC Sport has 81k miles. I've owned it for 6 years now (since 48k miles)

I mainly drive it in the winter. I've never changed the tranny fluid on it. What is the general recommendation, do it or leave it as-is?

If so can I use my fluid evacuator to suck it through the dipstick tube?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would "flush" the trans-then drop the pan and change filter. Try to save the drained fluid for a refill--

I wouldn't flush old fluid through a new filter though-so do the flush first-IMO

Any links for a flush procedure?

I too would recommend what jtsmith said. I don't have a link but if you do a search you should be able to find more info on the flush. To do the flush you pull off the hoses going to the trans cooler. Stick them in a 5 gallon bucket marked with quarts. Start the truck and pump out 1 quart. Shut it off and refill with 1 quart through the dipstick. I recommend using about 17-18 quarts. Then drop the pan and change the filter. A common misconception though is that the hose returning to the trans will suck fresh fluid back to the trans. This is not the case so the fresh ATF will need to be added through the dipstick.

Although the suggestions here are good, if it were me, rather than try and save old fluid, do a quart at a time, etc, I would just take it to a dealer or reputable shop and have them flush it with a machine that replaces the fluid as it goes. I have one of those. It simply replaces the old fluid with new fluid at the exact same rate while it's idling. I have never had a complaint or problem. I use it on transmissions that have waited too long for service and don't have a converter drain.

Back