Changing Differential Oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Differential Oil

pwgsx

Reaction score
Im wanting to change my rear diff oil this weekend and wanted to get a understanding on what needs to be done. I have a 04 Sport Trac, 2 wd. If anyone has done this on their 04 and would mind sharing the steps or tips that would be great.

Here are some of my questions:

What type of oil and how much is needed?
Do I pull the whole cover off or is there a drain plug?
Is any sealant used on the filler plug?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the metal tag attached to your differential cover for the recommended fluid.
If not, 75W-140 synthetic is almost always used, check your manual. (Buy 3 quarts)
Important to loosen the fill plug before draining and be prepared for a messy job.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242694

How and what is used to seal the cover back up? Is it high temp RTV or ??
Do I put the cover on with it still wet or semi set up?

On the Amsoil site, it looks like it calls for 75w-90. I happen to have that actually- their severe gear type, full synthetic. No additives. I have a standard diff. as far as I know.

I use the black RTV sealant. I have the big tube of it that has the trigger on it. Squirt it on the cover and stick it on. You can also get the gaskets at your local parts store as well, and just use the gasket sealant.

If you dont have the limited slip option then you dont need the friction modifier. Use regualr gear oil.

-get a 3/8 ratchet extension, use it to loosen the fill plug.
-get yourself some 75-140 synthetic with the LSD additive if you have LSD.
-also pick up one of those fill funnels, they look like beer bongs and help you fill the diff back up with the new gear lube
-take the diff cover bolts off except for the top one, just loosen that one. then use a flathead driver to pry it open. get a pan under it and collect all of the lube.
-then remove the top bolt off and start cleaning. get all the old rtv off on both the cover and diff.
-get some rtv black and put it on the diff cover seal, then slap it on. put the bolts back on.
-pull the plug and fill with new lube.

this is the condensed version, take a look at the beginning of this link to get a visual on what you will be doing:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325006

its not too hard a job, good luck!

Why do you suggest 75-140? I looked online and at Amsoil's site and it says 75w-90 !!

Back