Changing engine, transmission, transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing engine, transmission, transfer case

RECONKILLER

Reaction score
City, State
Raeford,North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I want to know if I can take the engine from a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition 4.6L 3 valve V-8 engine and put it in my 2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition that has a 4.6L 2 valve V-8.. I figure it should be pretty easy,, really wouldn't be any modifications to engine mounts,, I'm pretty sure I would have to use the transmission and transfer case and computer from the 2006 Ford Explorer...if it can be done I'm going to buy the engine, transmission and transfer case from a reputable company that refurbish engines and transfer cases and transmissions... I think I found a 6 inch suspension lift for my Explorer,, I have 18X9 rims for it now,, just have not put them on yet, waiting till I get my suspension lift kit done...I love the 2002 to 2005 Ford Explorer exterior and interior..I had a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition and thanks to a damn drunk driver hitting me and totaling it and breaking my left shoulder,3 ribs,left ankle,my sternum, breaking my left knee completely in 2 pieces, fractured left hip and airbag bruised my heart.. but I can honestly say that the Ford Explorer has saved my life at least 4 times...I have been hit by 8 drunk drivers since 1999and 4 times was head on and the Ford Explorer or God has saved my life...I will not drive anything but a Ford Explorer, Expedition or Excursion...if anyone can give me any advice on doing the above, I would really appreciate it,.,.

Dang!! How do you get hit so often? Is it part of your career that puts you in harms way?

I know people love that 3v 4.6 I am pretty sure I have seen other 4.6 owners swap from the 2v to the 3v on here....have you tried a search?
I love my excursion....once you daily drive an excursion with 3 kids and 3 dogs anything else just does not really feel safe on the road :)

Dang!! How do you get hit so often? Is it part of your career that puts you in harms way?

I know people love that 3v 4.6 I am pretty sure I have seen other 4.6 owners swap from the 2v to the 3v on here....have you tried a search?
I love my excursion....once you daily drive an excursion with 3 kids and 3 dogs anything else just does not really feel safe on the road :)

A battleship might "feel" even safer!

Wow! Glad you're okay after being hit by that many people! Go with the reliable 6-speed transmission as obviously the 5-speeds we 3rd genners get are consistently terrible. Also if you haven't already go and look at the 5.4 3-valve swap thread as it's surprisingly not as difficult as you'd think. Someone on here did it and bolted a supercharger on it and my god did it haul some serious ass

Back