changing shocks

pbzmag

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
ride quality of shocks

I'm in the market to change my stock shock for aftermarkets. I have a 99 Explorer 2WD and am looking at the Bilsteins or Edelbrock IAS shocks. My question is how do these shock feel when going over a bump or pothole? I am also thinking of changing out the rear swaybar. Any opinions?

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By all means change the sway bar.

I have Edelbrocks and like them a lot. They are, however, a bit rougher on bumps than stock.

Good luck.....

What is wrong with the stock rear sway-bar? Too big or too little? I know ford made the front one bigger and solid a few years ago. I am also undecided as to Bilsteins or Edelbrocks

Originally posted by mosinman
What is wrong with the stock rear sway-bar? Too big or too little? I know ford made the front one bigger and solid a few years ago. I am also undecided as to Bilsteins or Edelbrocks

The rear bar is too little.

When I went with the Explorer Express rear bar and poly bushings, it made a world of difference.

Handeling is vastly improved.

Think I will get the shocks first then the rear sway bar if I'm not happy with the ride. Thanks for the info.

If you want the best of handeling do not omit the sway bar.

Good luck.....

Thanks for all the info guys. I just bought the Edelbrocks and installed them myself. Took me 3.5 hours to install with only two stands and a jack. The rear left was the hardest one to replace. Some kind of box, maybe the full pump, got in the way of taking out the top of the oem shocks. As for the ride, I did definitely feel a diiference in the ride, especially body roll. As for the swaybar, I will wait awhile to replace it.

Joe

Back