Changing Spark Plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Spark Plugs

Anyone have any opinion on the Bosch 4-point Platnums? I just wonder if they are worth the extra cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have only heard BAD things about the +4's. Unless you have a highly modified engine, just get regular platinum plugs.

Originally posted by Mellotron
Anyone have any opinion on the Bosch 4-point Platnums? I just wonder if they are worth the extra cost?

I have read good as well as bad on these noards; I have not used them myself.

Today, I bite the bullet and changed the spark plugs and wires on my ’99 SOHC.

After the numerous cuts, burses and outbursts of profanity, and almost 2 hours of my time, the job is complete.

I replaced the original plugs ( 70k miles ) with Motorcraft Double Platinum plugs and Jacobs Ultra Fit Plug wires.

The old plugs gap was way off specs due to wear.

I have used Jacobs wires in the past and decided to go with them in hope that they would help with my mileage. They were a poor ( size ) replacement for the stock wires. The stock wires had a straight boot at the plug end whereas the Jacobs had a 45-degree end. One bank was shorter than stock and the other longer,

The truck ran exceptionally well on the test drive. We shall wait and see how they perform on a road trip soon.

If one bank was longer, and one was shorter... Did you just get them backwards?

I think it only took me about 45 minutes to change them on mine, although I broke 4 of the old plugs and 2 new ones. I jacked the car up so the wheels droop and my rubber flaps are missing, so....

My old Chevelle was a pain, that car took me about an hour and a half to do, even though it's a small block Chevy V-8, the engine sat low in the frame so I had to work around the A-arms, the A/C compressor on the drivers side, the A/C box on the wall, and the steering shaft, and oil dipstick, the only 2 plugs were easy to get to and even then I had to remove the air cleaner to get to them because the snorkle and heat riser tube were in the way.

After driving the truck for a day after the plug/wire change, the thing that I noticed the most was the incredably smooth idle; you can hardly tell its on.

So what plugs and wires do u guys recomend for my 98 SOHC. Motorcraft?

Back