• Register Today It's free!

Check Gage Light

Cobrakev

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie
Hi, my check gage light comes on for a few seconds the goes out. When the light comes on, the temp gage is normal as well as the oil pressure gage. No flux what so ever. Yes, the tank has gas in it, first thing i looked for. What else in the system can cause this light to come on?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would need to look for the correct answer...but you should be able to do that in your owner's manual.

Hey I have the same problem, but until check gage light do not turn off the oil pressure indicator is low, any ideas?
Explorer Sport 2001

kobrakev,

If you figure this one out, let me know also. my 95 does the same thing, usually cycling on for so many seconds, then off. Rinse then repeat. I posted the same question a few years ago but no one knew then. The owners manual says take it to the dealer. Right.

Good luck.

FTM

IIRC the Check Gauge light is controlled by the Anti-Slosh Module. Is the fuel guage working properly? Does this happen while driving or just when starting up? The light comes on for a bulb check after starting.

The one who said the light is on with the oil pressure low, that's the way the light works, you might want to check your oil pressure. It could also be the sender. What kind of oil filter do you use?

Here is the answer to what the "Check Gage" does...

I found this in the 99 Explorer owners' manual...And I wondered what that light was turned on by as well...

Illuminates when the engine coolant temperature is high, the engine oil
pressure is low or the fuel gauge is at or near empty. The ignition must
be in the ON position for this lamp to illuminate. The lamp will also
illuminate for several seconds after the ignition is turned to the ON
position.

Hey Jackal

Thats happens when I start up, but the light is on around 5 min during this period the oil pressure indicator is low, actually I remember now thats coming happened after I change the oil filter around 3 week ago, I buy one in autoparts. What kind of filter use my 01?, because always I ask to the guys in the store maybe they gave me a wrong filter. I really scared guys 5 min if enough to kill my engine.

Thats happens when I start up, but the light is on around 5 min during this period the oil pressure indicator is low, actually I remember now thats coming happened after I change the oil filter around 3 week ago, I buy one in autoparts. What kind of filter use my 01?, because always I ask to the guys in the store maybe they gave me a wrong filter. I really scared guys 5 min if enough to kill my engine.

Most likely your Oil pressure is reading low because of a bad oil pressure sending unit or a corroded connection with it. Very common problem.

Check Gage Light Issue

the Jackel,

Where is the anti-slosh module? My "check gage" started doing the exact thing described after I ran the gas down real low (on fumes) and since then, the gage light cycles as described. My gas gauge works fine but the temperature gauge stop working years ago so I don't think that it is related to the "check gage". I never heard of the anti-slosh module and thought, maybe something went wrong when I ran the tank so low.

Thanks ahead for any help.

FTM:usa:

the module is located in the back right upper corner of the cluster ,

Hi, my check gage light comes on for a few seconds the goes out. When the light comes on, the temp gage is normal as well as the oil pressure gage. No flux what so ever. Yes, the tank has gas in it, first thing i looked for. What else in the system can cause this light to come on?

Thanks

Battery voltage guage can also turn on that light if too low (don't know about if too high).

I just hope it's fixed, as that was 2-1/2 years ago... :D

I just hope it's fixed, as that was 2-1/2 years ago... :D

Yeah - might be a leetle late!!! I usually try to notice that!! Thanks Joe!!:D

I have the same problem, with my Explorer 2003 4.0L. Check gauge light comes ON, the oil pressure indicator is low, at idle speed <1000 rpm, and Temperature gauge above middle. but when I hit the gas the light went out and the gauge went back up ....
any ideas????

Wrong forum - this is for 2nd Gen Explorers; yours is 3rd.
In general, low pressure indicator on means one of two things: 1) Bad sender 2) Low oil pressure. Hopefully it's the first option; because the second may indicate a worn engine. The "proper" way to diagnose is to remove the sender and attach a pressure gauge, to see what the real pressure is. The "quick and dirty" way is to replace the sender and hope for the best. You choose.

Wrong forum - this is for 2nd Gen Explorers; yours is 3rd.
In general, low pressure indicator on means one of two things: 1) Bad sender 2) Low oil pressure. Hopefully it's the first option; because the second may indicate a worn engine. The "proper" way to diagnose is to remove the sender and attach a pressure gauge, to see what the real pressure is. The "quick and dirty" way is to replace the sender and hope for the best. You choose.
Thanx, where is this sender location?

Not familiar with the 4.0 SOHC engine or your 3rd gen Ex, so can't tell you the exact location or how to get there. It's usually screwed in the engine block near the oil filter. Look for a round part, about 1" diameter, with a single wire attached. Any auto parts store will have them. They are knurled on the outside, and may require a special wrench.

I believe you'll find the oil pressure switch located behind the power steering pump. Go through the driver's side inner fender. I don't think it requires a special wrench, just a deep socket of the appro size. The hard part is getting the wire to disconnect from the switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not familiar with the 4.0 SOHC engine or your 3rd gen Ex, so can't tell you the exact location or how to get there. It's usually screwed in the engine block near the oil filter. Look for a round part, about 1" diameter, with a single wire attached. Any auto parts store will have them. They are knurled on the outside, and may require a special wrench.
Thanx ...

Back