• Register Today It's free!

CHECK HEATER HOSES NOW!

fgump

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
As I was changing spark plugs and flushing coolant this weekend on my '00 XLT, I was checking over all the hoses. I found the upper heater hose, at the firewall, was almost completely rubbed through. It had rubbed away first layer of rubber, through the nylon strands, and almost through the second layer of rubber (I had noticed a faint antifreeze smell while driving). I called Ford, and the local dealer didn't even stock the part yet...too new! Plus it was over $18!!

Headed to the local AutoZone and picked up 2 feet of 5/8 heater hose for $1.98, cut it to length, and it worked great.

The worn hose had been rubbing against the heater fan box, where the heat shield is clad to the plastic case. I made sure to route the new hose significantly away from that area.

Take a look at yours today, and prevent catastrophic coolant loss!

Ummm, shouldn't that have been covered under warranty?? Or did you already exceed the mileage??

I have 46k on it now-out of the 3/36 time/mileage plan. I have extended warranty to 100k, but I don't know if it covers hoses. I'll certainly ask, but my warranty has a $50 deductible, and I certainly felt I could do it myself for a lot less than that.

Back