Check out this suspension setup - 1 link w/ panhard bar | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check out this suspension setup - 1 link w/ panhard bar

Jefe said:
I don't think I've ever seen a rear radius arm setup on any RWD vehicle. I'm guessing because of anti-squat issues.
just go to pirates ford section totm thread on rear coils and theres a fella with rear radius arms...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

supergildo said:
just go to pirates ford section totm thread on rear coils and theres a fella with rear radius arms...

They have been done (seen the pictures) but you are correct, they are not common becaue of the anti-squat issue :)

Is there any reason the upper links can't go rearward? Basically have your lower links going from axle to centerline frame and the uppers going from axle to frame where the spare tire usually hangs? I am of course speaking of a 3 or 4 link type setup. >o=

everythintech said:
ok so here is another question, doesnt the bar across the axle in the pic with the skidplate stop side to side?

If yor talking bout the red one at an angle, than yes. That is the panhard bar.

the arrow points to the connecting links on robbie gordon's trophy truck. these prevent tail wag at high speed on the throttle.

Attachments

• DSC01852.gif
    DSC01852.gif
    89.5 KB · Views: 8,689

exploderpilot said:
the arrow points to the connecting links on robbie gordon's trophy truck. these prevent tail wag at high speed on the throttle.

those are jsut sway bars are they not?

Then that is attached to a torsion bar running from one side of truck to other? It only looks like one link attached to the axel also? Would love to see pic from rear looking towards front. I don't see how that stops it from going from side to side. I wonder if there is some lateral bar that I just can't see. Seems to me without some kind of lateral bar at the axel that there would be a tremendous force on the hinge point where those arms connect to the frame. For example when making a high speed turn and a lot of sidways force was acting on the outside tire. Hope I make sense.

i guess anything is possible......long links, long connecting rods. it would totally affect spring rate and sag when four wheelin

There is a link running from the top of the axle housing to the frame. It mounts to the frame right above the lower arms.

Tommy

1996explorer4x4 said:
There is a link running from the top of the axle housing to the frame. It mounts to the frame right above the lower arms.

Tommy

Thanks for pointing that out. I see it now. It runs from center of housing like you say out to both sides of frame above arms. And that answered my question on how they controlled the lateral movment of the frame over the axel. Then they have that sway bar thing.

Back