Check out this suspension setup - 1 link w/ panhard bar | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check out this suspension setup - 1 link w/ panhard bar

TerryHowe said:
To built this setup, you are looking at $28 JJ, one stick of 2x2 saure tube, some 1/4"x2" flat for gussets, and ideally some 1.5"x2.5" square tube for the little piece on the JJ. That and you need 2 5/8" heims, 2 nuts for them, and a piece of 1 1/8"x3/16" DOM for a track bar. Some other flat stock to make brackets. Around $100 in materials. Since 3/4" heims are around $30 a piece, you need around $400 build a 4 link.

I used this setup because it was easy to build and inexpensive. Worked very well, heck I was top 10 in UROC and RCAA last year with that hill-billy setup.
I'd like to see it on some explorers. Coils or air bags in the back would be nice.

These guys are saying the antisquat #s will be around 130ish.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just remeber that some people who do this setup their coils or coil overs on the link itself. and that changes its spring rate being mounted like that instead of over the axle

There is room on the Explorers to mount the rear coil overs right to the axle tube just inside the leaf sping perches and run them up at a slight angle inward and back just a little. If you go with coils, once the gas tank is relocated, there is plenty of room to mount the coils inside the frame rails. Personnaly, I like the idea of coil overs mounting as far out on the axles as possible and attatching up high in the center so as to keep them out of the passenger compartment, but still allowing large travel numbers.

Diff Whack Daddy said:
There is room on the Explorers to mount the rear coil overs right to the axle tube just inside the leaf sping perches and run them up at a slight angle inward and back just a little. If you go with coils, once the gas tank is relocated, there is plenty of room to mount the coils inside the frame rails. Personnaly, I like the idea of coil overs mounting as far out on the axles as possible and attatching up high in the center so as to keep them out of the passenger compartment, but still allowing large travel numbers.

if i remember correctly that will also change the spring rate. || has a different spring rate then /\ If IRC

True, you just have to apply a simple correction factor for the angle according to QA1's catalog (pg 66).

I don't quite understand all the numbers and anti-squat jargan. Everthing I read says different things and different optimal number goals. I was just looking at this because it looked easy and super affordable. I am either going to go with this or a three link, but am not sure how to figure which is better.

Kevin,try it on some ones truck that trusts you. It's not like they'll roll it or anything :p

This could pretty cool and easy on a Zuk :rolleyes:

Hey now! :rolleyes: I know you're not talking about me!?

Diff Whack Daddy said:
I don't quite understand all the numbers and anti-squat jargan. Everthing I read says different things and different optimal number goals. I was just looking at this because it looked easy and super affordable. I am either going to go with this or a three link, but am not sure how to figure which is better.

Better figure it out.

Doing it wrong will make the vehicle even more tippy than it is now. Doing it right will make the vehicle even more stable than it is now.

I know it's difficult to understand - it took me a while to figure it out. In the end, the hard work paid off - the zuk can do things now that it couldn't do before, and it handles way better.

I've PM'd JRGaylor to this thread. this is something he'd do to his new BII :D

If my BII didn't get such good fuel economy (17-18city :eek: :D ), I'd do it to mine :thumbsup:

I am running a 3 link on the rear of my explorer with coils. I will get you some pics of how I have my coils mounted. It might help.

That's a wild set up. Just curious about the angle of that panhard bar. Is their any advantage of having that angle more horizontal with the axel? It would seem to me that the way it is now that the body would want to go one way and the frame the other under extreme flex. Where as if it was closer to horizontal it would seem to me that the body could lift up more without going sideways for lack of a better term. Or I'm I not thnking right?

Going to talk to my friend who works on all kinds of equipment and see about one of those axels.

Here is my 3 linked coil setup on my explorer. This might help you decide what to do:
F1B3F_12-21-2005-17.jpg

EA39A_12-21-2005-16.jpg

1Z994_12-21-2005-21.jpg

Trckmagik said:
I am running a 3 link on the rear of my explorer with coils. I will get you some pics of how I have my coils mounted. It might help.

What coils are you running and do you happen to know their spring rate?

From what I have read, the instant center on this setup is detemined by the imaginary line between contact patch of the rear tire and the mounting location of the grader ball(single link). Where it intersects above the front axle is your instant center. Roll center is determined by imaginary line from the center of the panhard bar through the grader ball(single link). I am not sure where my center of gravity (CG) is but according to everything else, if you keep your link as long as possible and as flat as possible, this should keep your anti-squat in check. I am still confused on the ideal numbers to shoot for when designing the suspension :confused:

^^ I am sure I can get some for you Froader ^^

The springs are for a Late model Jeep Wrangler. These are the 2.5" lift springs from Skyjacker.

did you have to replace your gastank with that 3 link? if so where did you put it?

I went with a fuel cell in whats left of the cargo area.

you have a write up on the fuel system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rookieshooter said:
That's a wild set up. Just curious about the angle of that panhard bar. Is their any advantage of having that angle more horizontal with the axel? It would seem to me that the way it is now that the body would want to go one way and the frame the other under extreme flex. Where as if it was closer to horizontal it would seem to me that the body could lift up more without going sideways for lack of a better term. Or I'm I not thnking right?

Going to talk to my friend who works on all kinds of equipment and see about one of those axels.
Especially with a setup like that the panhard should be as close to level at ride height as possible, seeing as when you go over bumps the rear axle will not only move side to side, but that side to side motion will cause rear steer.

Back