Check out this suspension setup - 1 link w/ panhard bar | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check out this suspension setup - 1 link w/ panhard bar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think i could go fast with a setup like this with some connecting links in place of those springs, and wide mounted bypasses.....

This set up is deffinately not a good one for anything high speed due to the roll steer/side to side motion. The more I look at it, a three link is just as easy, more proven, and can be just as flexible if set up right.

However, how is it any different than a ford radius arm type suspension. It has side to side motion that causes steer. Wait, answered my own question, it has a steering system to counteract it. Hmmmmmm, maybe a one link with rear hydro steering. Man this is getting exspensive:D

FROADER said:
Does your axle move side to side while flexing?

it shouldnt, thats why there is a wishbone and not a trac bar

Trac bars still cause side to side motion where a three link/wishbone eliminate it. Do you think a whishbone upper replacing the trac bar would work with the one link?

a track bar on a conventional setup allows for side to side movement. what is the big deal with it hear. the only time it will be moving side to side noticebly is when it is flexing hardcore. on the road, it will be at the normal ride height and not moving at all. I don't understand the dilemma here but maybe im just thick headed. :confused:

^^^ busting joints/mounts from the side to side movement. I know he also looks for the "hardcore flexing" spots like a majority of us do, so it will see more side to side movement than flatground driving.

Even in flatground driving when cornering, with no sway bars, body roll is an issue as well. And when halling a$$ down a wash at t-haven and going into a turn I want the truck to at least be predictable in a slight four wheel slide.

wouldn't the coils spring and shocks keep the side to side minimal? i know they won't stop it but at least prevent some of it. and if you don't have a sway bar, it is gonna roll anyway. i cant think of a reason that it would move around anymore than normal. I guess i would just go with heavier springs to counteract that and deal with the rougher ride. you are just talking about driving it off road anyhow arent you. I would personally like to try this being less expensive but i want to be able to drive to places safely.

FROADER said:
You're not allowed to make turns in the Truck Haven washes anymore. :p

No, I am not allowed to do donuts :roll: :D

SuperEx91 said:
wouldn't the coils spring and shocks keep the side to side minimal? i know they won't stop it but at least prevent some of it. and if you don't have a sway bar, it is gonna roll anyway. i cant think of a reason that it would move around anymore than normal. I guess i would just go with heavier springs to counteract that and deal with the rougher ride. you are just talking about driving it off road anyhow arent you. I would personally like to try this being less expensive but i want to be able to drive to places safely.

They do keep it down, but with the one link suspension it throws a completely different geometry into it with the body roll causing rear steering. For instance, going into a left hand turn, the body of the truck wants to roll to the right. When the left side of the axle droops, the panhard bar will get more parallel pushing the axle to the right side, causing the entire axle to pivot on it's one joint and therefore causing it to suddenly turn shrper to the left.

Ok, now i understand. thx a lot. I guess it will make your turning radius smaller. ;) the posts i read on pirate4x4 all said they have had no problems, this system has been used in competitions. I didnt see anyone specifying anything about the rear steer affect tho.

I wouldnt' think the rear steer would be any more than an ra/trac bar setup in the front would it? If the track bar is mounted as horizontal to the axle as possible then it would be minimized...correct?

The difference in the front is you have a steering wheel and linkage and turnable tires to compensate for the roll steer. In the rear, the wheels don't turn so this rear steer would be variable. It would be predictable with time, but one small bump during the turn could change the geometery quckly causing a instant tighter turning radius.

Thats what i think. the longer the track bar is, the farther the axle would have to drop to move the axle sideways. and if the track bar is the length of the axle, i doubt their will be enough droop to allow for side to side movement. I guess the only way to really see is to do it.

Yeah i dig what your saying dwd that would make a difference. Someone now needs to pull out their old trig book and start up with the a-rith-ma-tick to figure out how much it would change. It's a tested design though, if rear stear was a big issue i don't think it would be used. Hell i don't know though...just talkin haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's why I was wondering if a double one link might work. Just trying to think outside the box. Basically use the grader ball design to attain the desired mass ammounts of flex, but also mount another reversed with the one link on top of the axle, like a wishbone. I would think they would have to be equal in geometric dimensions, but am not sure if they need to be.

Thoughts?

Back