• Register Today It's free!

Check Valve in Steering Rack

d16v149

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited OHC-6
I changed the Rack in my 2000 X last week, The Job was not as bad as I thought it would be but one thing has me worried, the reman rack & pinion came with a card that stated that the "Check Valve" needs to be pulled from the old unit and installed in the reman rack prior to installation in the truck. As I prepared to do this I found that there already was a check valve installed in the new unit so I omitted the step. The card does not say anything about removing an existing "Check valve" from the reman unit so I figured that everything was OK. As I was boxing up the original unit to return for the core I noted a significant difference in design, the original factory rack was technically not equipped with a check valve but rather a check choke. It has a small hole in the popit disk that allows free flow from the high pressure line into the rack but also allows an orifice restricted flow back up from the rack to the pump. The steering seems to work fine but I am seriously considering pulling the rack back out to install the original device.

Does anyone know why the factory did not use a standard check valve in the high pressure supply to the rack?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you take out the rack, I'd contact/telephone (don't e-mail as they'll take forever to respond) the steering rack re-manufacturer and ask if there was an update to the valve?!?!

On some of these aftermarket parts they make updates to problem areas that have cropped up over the years.

I've seen quite a few updated parts for explorers - especially ones made by "cardone", napa, and carquest - but I'm not familiar with the one you're talking about.

Give it a shot as we're talking about a .25 phone call - what's the worst that can happen ;-)

Update-Everything seems ok

Contacting the rebuilder did not get anything other than "follow the destructions" and "bring it back where you got it if it does not work".

I have not had any problems so I will stay with the way it came.

Thought I should make a final conclusion post should anyone else run across this issue.

Mine has the 4 hole unit

Attachments

• Cat 3304A 001.jpg
    Cat 3304A 001.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 2,150

How big was the restricted oriffice?

ive had this same problem on my 99 im working out. my new rack came with a check vale installed already (and a paper saying to swap them out, i ignored it cause new is better right?) so i tossed aside my old one. think i messed up on that one, should have swapped them. cause now i cant get the air outta the system tried for 2 hours with it on jacks and slowly turning the wheel lock to lock (engine off), i can hear air bubbling in the rack when the wheel is turned.so i tried with engine on and still air (engine running made alot of soda like bubbles/foam in the reservoir). i did find some very slight seepage around the high pressure in line, got it on as tight as i can get it but it still seeps, so i dont know if the check valve has anything to do with that or if my pressure hose has a leaking o-ring in the connector. swapping the hose tomorrow.

Do u have 2 have the check valve

Do u have 2 have the check valve
Yes - you need to install the check valve.

It creates a back pressure within the steering rack, ensuring that the power steering pump is able to provide the proper fluid pressure.

Back