Checked my CEL codes today... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Checked my CEL codes today...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a potential V8 for it.. 5.0L 302 out of an 86 mustang, mustang is out back in my buddies yard, wiring in tact :D. Also a 5 speed transmission hes got too, but i think id go auto. The engine also uses Speed Density, which i know little about (supposidly mass air without the mafs??). Exhaust would be custom of course, with probably factory headers, which he still has. We havent negotiated a price, but so far itl be about $400 for me to have the engine and wiring (including new engine parts, machining and rebuilt) since supposidly stang parts are cheap.

Im not sure i want to go through with this.. but it seems my drivetrain just isnt up to snuff.. been through 3 transmissions, and the engines starting to act up. Everytime i see another problem i get a little more depressed about the situation lol. Supposidly this stang got about 20-25mpg when it was running too, i think im getting about 10mpg right now with all the problems i have.

I get about 7, or 8 MPG. As the vehicle ages, it loses efficiency. Even if you spend a lot of money replacing sensors, filters, and other stuff, you can't get it to be like a brand new engine. In your case, you would probably need a custom driveshaft, and other custom stuff that is expensive. The question is, how much do you want to put into it? I had a similar situation with my father's old Grand Am. He wanted to junk it, but I had an idea that I would fix it up. Every month something else went that was expensive. I was dumping about $300 a month into it at one point until the transmission finally went. I didn't want to spend $1,200 on a new one.

im having the same problem, thats why im still deciding.. still in that stage were the vehicle is like a part of you and you just cant get rid of it, but thats my biggest downfall... i might end up dumping too much money into it when i should get something newer and more reliable. Probably should of gotten rid of it when the transmission went the first time.. My only reason thinking v8 is that there is alot less to the engine since its alot older...

142000km Its in pretty crappy shape for that many km, the body is in tact still, but with the usual rockerpanels almost gone.

Well while reading over a thread about someone buying a MAFS i decided to have a look at the one i found and currently am using. To my discovery i think i might of found out why i still get the odd lag when i stepped on the gas.... Never use electrical tape as a bit of a bushing to attach soemthing with rubber sleeves....

Attachments

• ooops 002.jpg
    ooops 002.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 133

Nope this was simply to make the outer diameter bigger for the coupling and clamps.

This is how i had it setup, i didnt want the rubber coupling to buckle from tightening too much so i wrapped some tape around it to make it bigger....
airint003.jpg

-Going to check that propane system right now. cooking food so am slightly off the forum right now :D

yup found it right after you mentioned it. I wonder how much of a challenge itl be to run on EFI? Or if its worth it when theres the possiblilty it might not work.. I wonder if you injected it through the fuel injectors if you would need some kinda computer on it to control them.. not too experienced with setting the systems up. How is it injected into the carbed engines? Does it just go through like regular fuel would in them?

They have a closed intake area, with a pressure regulator. He has some pictures of his parts in the listing. One picture you sent me in a PM had the intake adapter that gets connected onto something in the intake area. You would still need some sort of computer, or controller. I'm sure that the old versions didn't have any computer. Don't forget that diesel was always set up in a similar fashion to fuel injection. It has pipes that divert diesel fuel into the separate areas where the cylinders are. They had a mechanical set up. I remember working on an old Saab 900 that used a part similar to a "diesel distributor". I don't know what else to call it. I has a box that is like a rotary valve, with springs, and separate chambers. It distributed fuel in a certain sequence, just like a distributer for an ignition distributes spark to cylinders in a certain order.

Yeah i was wondering mainly about the computer control for that one for sale, since its carbed... The distributor method ive never heard of before, but it sounds pretty cool :D

I just patched a couple small holes in the manifold to EGR valve pipe, mainly getting tired of the noise of the small exhaust leaks lol.
egrpipe002.jpg

Another bit of an update, driving yesterday i stepped on the gas to get the transmission to kick down and speed up, the transmission just slipped, like it was right out of gear, i let off the gas very quickly which was followed by a pretty loud clunk.

I figure this is a problem with the TCC solinoid, either way i plan on taking it to the transmission shop ASAP, i dont want to have to get a 4rth transmission, if that happens then thats the end of the trucks life.

Back