Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
On Thursday last week I had the opportunity to do another tour of the Chicago Assembly Plant where the Explorer is built.

All of you who have ordered Explorers will be happy to know they are running max capacity to fill the Explorer demand, with an extra Saturday shift.

What was very interesting to me, compared to last time I was there was that they are building almost 95% Explorer on the lines, I only saw maybe 6 Lincoln and another 4-5 Taurus.

Last time the production lines looked roughly an equal mix of all models.

Due to such a huge demand for the Explorers, especially Interceptor Utility's, everywhere you look its Explorers.

And LOTS of SPORT's.

I saw the XLT Appearance Package with the new wheels and I think it looked superb, bet they can't build enough to satisfy demand once people see them on dealer lots.

I also saw the Magnetic colour on a SPORT and without a doubt thats my next colour for my 16MY.

They also allowed me to do a tour of the Ford Police upfit facility called TDM which is a block away from CAP, I will post photos shortly. Inside CAP cameras are not allowed so I didn't take any photo's.

So those of you with Ex's on order be happy they are building them as fast as they can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On Thursday last week I had the opportunity to do another tour of the Chicago Assembly Plant where the Explorer is built.

All of you who have ordered Explorers will be happy to know they are running max capacity to fill the Explorer demand, with an extra Saturday shift.

What was very interesting to me, compared to last time I was there was that they are building almost 95% Explorer on the lines, I only saw maybe 6 Lincoln and another 4-5 Taurus.

Due to such a huge demand for the Explorers, especially Interceptor Utility's, everywhere you look its Explorers.

And LOTS of SPORT's.

I saw the XLT Appearance Package with the new wheels and I think it looked superb, bet they can't build enough to satisfy demand once people see them on dealer lots.

I also saw the Magnetic colour on a SPORT and without a doubt thats my next colour for my 16MY.

They also allowed me to do a tour of the Ford Police upfit facility called TDM which is a block away from CAP, I will post photos shortly. Inside CAP cameras are not allowed so I didn't take any photo's.

So those of you with Ex's on order be happy they are building them as fast as they can.

Hey Sgt1411. Since you were there in Thursday you may have seen my Exp as it was built that day. Nice to hear the plant is at capacity. Having worked in law enforcement years ago I bet the TDM facility was fascinating. Have friends that own a body shop that does repairs on our Highway patrol vehicles. I was quite impressed on some of the officer safety features Ford places in the series.

Yes I did see yours, sorry about the coffee stains......just kidding!

Yes I did see yours, sorry about the coffee stains......just kidding!

Thanks, nice to know I will receive it pre-broke in. LOL

And LOTS of SPORT's.

Jealous! Look forward to the pics.

And LOTS of SPORT's.

Wish I could do such a tour as I would have been very vocal to point out all of the design related flaws such as where the water leaks were coming from...my Explorer is perfect now but it took a good 6 months get all of the items fixed that were defective from the factory...Water Leaks (from sunroof and roof rack), Door Alignment issues, and poor fit and finish of my trim, etc...

I am amazed that stuff like that gets out, they have full time QC people who all they do is pull random samples off the line and do extensive testing.

Vibration, water testing, Fit & Finish etc etc.

Alot of times each ends up being a poor quality part supplier or a part supplier change.

Back