Inside the Chicago Assembly Plant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inside the Chicago Assembly Plant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I love about the video is the proof.

Do you guys believe my dealer told me one reason my X took so long to get scheduled is because Ford may not be spraying that color that week, or building Limited's, or because that package is getting built.

Heck that video showed every color, Taurus', and LINCOLNS on the same line!

I think they know better and they are not ignorant, they just don't want to admit they didn't have the allocation.

good stuff -- thanks for the post. I was surprised that they build multiple kinds of cars on the same line.

Thank you! Very cool!

Yeah it was definitely an eye opener. Think of the type of coordination that is involved in producing three cars at once!

sticker500 - I was told the same thing by my dealer. They are probably covering for their allocation shortage, or its possible that they, like us, assumed that the line had to be stopped in order to switch production.

-J

What I love about the video is the proof.

Do you guys believe my dealer told me one reason my X took so long to get scheduled is because Ford may not be spraying that color that week, or building Limited's, or because that package is getting built.

Heck that video showed every color, Taurus', and LINCOLNS on the same line!

I think they know better and they are not ignorant, they just don't want to admit they didn't have the allocation.

The way it's described, Ford's just in time system should only schedule a vehicle that has all the parts to move from one end of the line to the other. In that case, their scheduling would hold back any build without the entire parts list satisfied. All the other variables like color pigment supply, other part shortages and transportation issues give your dealer plenty of cover if it really is an allocation issue.

The scary thing is that they say it takes around 17 hours from beginning to end, and in that timeframe they are receiving parts 6-10 times a day!? I wonder if they take risks when the pressure is on, and schedule a vehicle to be built with a part arriving after the build starts.

Jazny,

I'm sure they do. They have lots to park partially completed vehicles waiting for parts. Then they pay employees OT to come in on their off days and install the parts in the parking lot.

Of course were speaking of accessory pieces. Not whole components such as engine/tranny , etc..dash

I tried the link and after it played a "Don't Text and Drive" commercial all I got was a message saying 'This content is currently unavailable'.

Its because you have a Canadian IP address on the computer thats requesting the site.

Google the news story and a few other links for it come up and you can watch it fine.

Yet another Canuckistan restriction.

Its because you have a Canadian IP address on the computer thats requesting the site.

Google the news story and a few other links for it come up and you can watch it fine.

Yet another Canuckastan restriction.

Thank God the NDP didn't win the federal election. Then it truly would be CANUCKISTAN.:D

Back