Clarification For SOA

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
In talking to a lot of people on the chat or otherwise, I have come to find that not many people know what is involved with a Spring Over Axle modification.

Black circle represents the axle tube
Red shape is the stock spring perch
Solid blue is the stock leaf spring configuration
Dashed blue is the new spring configuration after an SOA
Yellow represents a piggyback type kit like the one offered by Superlift and other companies as well, or new welded on spring perches

Keep in mind, that the shocks in stock form are mounted to the u-bolt plates, and with an soa, new u-bolt plates and new shock mounts should be incorporated into the plan.

Here is a mockup drawing:

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,194

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a semi breakdown of parts and locations
Pic 1: P-U Bolt Plate, SP-Spring Perch, SM-Shock Mount
Pic 2: the blue arrow represents the aforementioned u-bolt on an SOA

Attachments

• soa kit.jpg
    soa kit.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,125
  • scary58.jpg
    scary58.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,131

Here is an SUA (This is the type of setup the stock Explorer has)

White Arrow: Shock Mount
Red Arrow: Leaf Springs
Blue Arrow: U-Bolt
Green Arrow: U-Bolt Plate

Attachments

• sua.jpg
    sua.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,145

Here is the spring perch
it is hard to see on an actual axle as it is mounted between the axle and the leaf springs

these should be welded on by qualified personel only

Attachments

• war250.jpg
    war250.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,103

:chug:

Thanks

Jim, I appreciate the pics and brief description.

I plan on trying to SOA next weekend. Can you re-use the factory shock mounts, just switch sides? "What can be re-used, and what cannot be re-used" is what I'm really asking.
If I can't weld them on the same day I SOA, could I do it two days later (when a welding place opens up)?
Thanks, all!
Karl

well if the new perches arent welded, i suppose they could shift and that would be bad becuase it may exaggerate the angles and could cuase a breakage somewhere... also not really sure on the reusing old spring plates and flipping them as the shocks will then be oriented in a different location and they then might limit travel beit up or down.....

I reused the ubolts and spring plates when I did my SOA. However, I had to modify the left side spring plate inorder to clear the gas tank skid plate. When I redo my rear end I am doing to make/buy some smaller plates.

I would definitly recomend welding the spring seats... I didn't at first, just tightening mine with a 1/2" impact, and while I was loading the truck on a trailer the rear end spun on the plates almost destroying my drive shaft.

Just my 2 cents
Chris

Jim the axle tube diameter is 3 1/4" correct?

SVO said:
Jim the axle tube diameter is 3 1/4" correct?
Yes. If you use the generic Mopar pads that everyone sells, you will need to mark/grind them as they will be for a 3" tube.

james t said:
Yes. If you use the generic Mopar pads that everyone sells, you will need to mark/grind them as they will be for a 3" tube.

thanx James, I guess you know where this is going? lol

Back