Class III Hitch for 3rd Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Class III Hitch for 3rd Gen Explorer

SUL73NAZ

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hey explorerforum... decided to start a thread discussion on my different options for a class III hitch for my explorer. I am in dire need of a class III hitch on my explorer so I can start transporting my dirtbike with it. I know I can just buy a class III hitch and install it...on the 3rd gens the hitch assembly is actually part of the bumper so that brings me to the question what would be the better route to go? I am thinking that I can either just buy a class III hitch or make a custom bumper that has a class III receiver integrated. What are your thoughts and opinions? On explorers with class III hitches what is the clearance between the spare tire and the hitch like? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've seen the class III hitch is the same as your class II, just with a 2" receiver. The clearance should be the same. Just go find one at a junkyard and swap them out. Shouldn't take more than an hour. You should also try to get the wiring for the 7-pin, that should plug right in as well.

[thread=292168] This Thread[/thread] talks about how to switch out your existing class 2 hitch for class 3. I've done it following this guide and it is actually very simple. Other than this option is buy buy a class 3 hitch and install it under your existing hitch.
Like so:
attachment.php

Like Brian said it will not take much time if you do the swap. My only advise is if you do it at a junkyard you my need to find some pipe, or long breaker bar. As where I did it I had the ability to use an impact wrench.

The hitch under the hitch is gross and I will not go that route... I don't think there are any 3rd gen expos in any of the junkyards local but I will check... I want to try and run a 33" (fullsize for me) spare under my truck as well. I am planning on removing the plastic stuff around the spare for clearance as well. I am hoping the bike carrier also clears the spare as well.

I usually use the image code from photobucket

I did the junkyard swap on mine. It bolts right up and the 7 way harness plugs into the existing harness. Probably the easiest and cheapest route, that is if you can find a third gen in a junkyard.

Check craigslist. I waited nearly two years then one showed up, and I got my hands on it. And now that our cars are getting older more and more are showing up there.

I'm waiting for the day where I see my first fourth gen at the local yard. Quite honestly, I don't know how I'm gonna handle it emotionally...

I will probably end up just fabbing a custom rear bumper with a 2" receiver (class III) integrated into it. If I ever see a gen4 at the junk yard I will want the tailgate/hatch! 3rd gen hatches have the panels that crack and are the worst!

Sorry I looked up locations on someone else's info

Ask these people
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ptd/3809403143.html

and remember you cant get the hitch off of 2006 and newer as those are welded on.

Edit...As i give you an add for a 2006...well I found your hatch

Back