Class III/IV towing package / 3.73 axle ratio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Class III/IV towing package / 3.73 axle ratio

Hi guys,
just need some kind of idea on the matter, im currently shopping for an explorer.
As ive seen in the owner manual for the GEN 3 explorers, they have the Class III/IV tow for the 4.6L 3.73 ratio.

1. How do i know which second hand explorers have these specs ?
2. Did the Class III/IV tow come standard for the 3.73 axle ratio 4.6L ?

im in dire need here as everyone i call never know what there explorer is capable of in terms of towing.
Also i live in australia.

Greatly appreciated.
Thanks again guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The class III/IV towing package was optional, as were the 3.73 gears. To find out if a used Ex has the option, look at the reciever. It is labelled with which class it is. As for gearing, the axel code is on the door sticker. Code 46 is 3.73 open diff, D4 and L73 are both 3.73 limited slip. (Not sure why 2 codes)

The towing package ups the V-6 to the 3.73 gears. The V-8s on the later 3rd gens all came with 3.55s regardless of tow package or not. The 3.73 rear end does not necessarily mean it has the towing package, but the towing package means it's got the 3.73 (v-8 excluded).

The easiest way to know? Look at the hitch. If it has the 2" FACTORY receiver, that's what you need. If it's got the 1.25" receiver, keep looking.

The towing package ups the V-6 to the 3.73 gears. The V-8s on the later 3rd gens all came with 3.55s regardless of tow package or not. The 3.73 rear end does not necessarily mean it has the towing package, but the towing package means it's got the 3.73 (v-8 excluded).

The easiest way to know? Look at the hitch. If it has the 2" FACTORY receiver, that's what you need. If it's got the 1.25" receiver, keep looking.

I have 3.73's, open diff on my 05 V8.

The V-8s on the later 3rd gens all came with 3.55s regardless of tow package or not. The 3.73 rear end does not necessarily mean it has the towing package, but the towing package means it's got the 3.73 (v-8 excluded).

I have 3.73's, open diff on my 05 V8.

I forget which year they made the change, but I'm too lazy to look it up again... IIRC, it was for the '06 model year, but don't quote me on that...

Point being, the class-III hitch is only on the ones with the towing package from teh factory. Look for the hitch and you can't go wrong.

I forget which year they made the change, but I'm too lazy to look it up again... IIRC, it was for the '06 model year, but don't quote me on that...

I believe you are correct... but aren't 2006 and up considered 4th Gen's?

Point being, the class-III hitch is only on the ones with the towing package from the factory. Look for the hitch and you can't go wrong.

Correct you are.

Possibly... But I would call them 3rd gens still... there really wasn't any significant change to the truck for '06... some electronic gadgets and gizmos, fresh plastic and some sheet metal tweaks... As far as I'm concerned, they're still 3rd gens... the unibodies will be 4th gens.

Thanks heaps guys,
u really were alot of help.

So far im not having any luck, every 4.6L i go to inspect seems to only have 2.5 tonne labelled on the hitch...

is it possible the class III/IV hitch never made it to australia???

Also what if i had the 2.5 tonne explorer with electric brakes?
Would that be a significant improvement on the tow rating?

Thanks again in advance!

Bonz.

I was poking through a thread yesterday (I'm sorry I can't rmember which one) and it was stated by a fellow Aussie the the factory tow hitch from Ford wasn't legal for use Down Under for some reason. Something else you may want to look into.

ahh really?
thats what i was thinkin.
so is it maybe an idea that australia has there own ford factory tow hitch for the explorer?
what about the electric brakes idea on a 5500 pound hitch?

I bought a 2004 mountaineer, v8, it came with Class 2 hitch.

So i bought a Class 3/4 hitch, it tows good, i think the 3.73's would help alittle more with REALLY heavy loads, but she moves pretty good still.
I couldn't believe how stabil the truck was at highway speeds towing....it was WAY better than my dads 03 silverado big v8 WITH full tow package......his truck swayed too much.

I bought a 2004 mountaineer, v8, it came with Class 2 hitch.

So i bought a Class 3/4 hitch, it tows good, i think the 3.73's would help alittle more with REALLY heavy loads, but she moves pretty good still.

x2

I just keep the O/D off pulls great.

Where abouts would u buy another hitch 1_v8_merc?
the problem ive had in australia so far is, every tow bar shop doesnt have a hitch for the explorer...they all say they came stock, which they did..
.but now im stuck finding a second hand one with the right specs.

Is it possible to have a custom made hitch made up?
i always thought that the specs of the vehicle is the maximum no matter what hitch u put on.

by the way im tryin to tow 3 tonne/6600 pounds.

Yeah but the motor hp went up to close to 300hp (292hp) and the trans went to 6 speed.
Possibly... But I would call them 3rd gens still... there really wasn't any significant change to the truck for '06... some electronic gadgets and gizmos, fresh plastic and some sheet metal tweaks... As far as I'm concerned, they're still 3rd gens... the unibodies will be 4th gens.

Where abouts would u buy another hitch 1_v8_merc?
the problem ive had in australia so far is, every tow bar shop doesnt have a hitch for the explorer...they all say they came stock, which they did..
.but now im stuck finding a second hand one with the right specs.

Is it possible to have a custom made hitch made up?
i always thought that the specs of the vehicle is the maximum no matter what hitch u put on.

by the way im tryin to tow 3 tonne/6600 pounds.

Well yes, the truck DOES have a maximum tow limit, no matter what tow hitch you put on it.(although that can be upgraded by someone with frame or fabrication experience.)

But if your truck came with the Class 2 hitch, the hitch is limiting your towing ability. If you upgrade to Class 3, you can then tow the maximum weight.(which i THINK is around 7000 or 8000?, your owners manual tells you)

To be honest i cant remember what website i ordered my tow hitch off of.
You can always try hitchfinder.com or just google for a hitch for your truck.
(i will try to find the website later, i'll get back to ya on that)

Im not sure if most websites ship to australia?
Do they?

But if your truck came with the Class 2 hitch, the hitch is limiting your towing ability. If you upgrade to Class 3, you can then tow the maximum weight.(which i THINK is around 7000 or 8000?, your owners manual tells you)

Nossir... The hitch alone is not what determines the tow rating. A class-III hitch with the 3.55 rear end does not up the towing capacity without the 3.73 gears, HD cooling package, etc. A 4.0 SOHC with the class-II package and the 3.55 rear end is only rated for 3240 lbs. Upping the hitch to a Class-III receiver by any method is not going to suddenly allow you to tow the 5760 lbs associated with the towing package.

I agree with gijoecam,
But i wonder if things have change in '06, because it looks like if you get the Class III tow package with the V8 and the 6speed it now comes with 3.55's and not 3.73's but still has a 7k tow rating.
From what i heard, because of the gearing in the 6speed, they don't need 3.73's with the V8. They do add an oil cooler and i thought but that was about it, although the 'Strategy' could be different for shift points etc. I wonder what else was done? :dunno:

sorry, ot, but gijoecam are doing the woodward cruise?

When they went to the 6-speed, they dropped the 3.73. They claimed that the lower first gear compensated for the taller final drive ratio. Mathematically the overall gear ratio is very close with the new trans (I don't have the numbers in front of me, but someone in another forum I frequent had the numbers in front of him a couple weeks ago).

So, yes, for an '06 it wouldn't make much of a difference (with the exception of the cooler) but not on an '04.

As for the cruise, I'm avoiding it at all costs.... But I've somehow got to get from downriver up to Caseville without getting stuck in the mayhem... Still haven't figured out how I'm gonna do that yet...

lol, yea i know what you mean. I live two blocks off woodward, i have no choice but to live it. . . last night was the first big night so far and its only Wed no less, they should be out in force tonight. . .usually 75 is ok(fully open now) or i'd go 75 to 94 to 696 to VanDyke??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

,,,,,do add an oil cooler and i thought but that was about it, although the 'Strategy' could be different for shift points etc. I wonder what else was done? ,,,
Heavier frame in '08 on, 444% stronger by Ford's website and pamplets.

Back