clear tails are history!??! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clear tails are history!??!

hey guys! just checked autosyndicate.com.. heres what they said:

CLEAR TODAY GONE TOMORROW

SUPER SALE

Clear Tails are now history, what is made is made. We have to clear out our current stock of Clear Tails to make room for the new Altezza styles coming out.

All prices good, while supplies last. All sales are FINAL. All Tails are for Show and Off-road use only.

CALL 1-877-4-SYNDC8 TO ORDER

this is sorta good and sorta bad.. its good to take advantage of the price with.. but its bad because they won't be offering the total clears for our rides anymore.. this is a GOOD sign that the altezzas may be coming out for the '91-'94 as well as the '95-'97.. WOO!

just thought I'd let yall know!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you see that site about the NHTSA making APC and a couple other companies recall tails they had sold? http://fmvss108.tripod.com Guess they're cracking down on the manufacturing of them.

Ya know, it's disappointing that the govt departments crack down so much on vehicle modifications.....Too bad, I guess we just gotta take the chance.

It still doesn't look like the Altezzas are coming out for the 91-94's :-(

perhaps not right now.. but I'm not returning my clears until I have a taillight alternative.. either they make altezzas.. or I'm keeping my clears, perhaps not hurting anyone but myself, but gosh.. its fords fault afterall for making those ugly taillights ;)

hehe actually.. the webpage you linked to there doesn't say anything about '91-'97 taillights.. woohoo!

[Edited by DarkFox1 on 01-09-2001 at 09:45 AM]

Words from an enthusiast...

Originally posted by RFR2212
Ya know, it's disappointing that the govt departments crack down so much on vehicle modifications.....Too bad, I guess we just gotta take the chance.

Greetings,

Your concerns are not new, but whether the typical enthusiast agrees with NHTSA's views or not, State law enforcement authorities are following suit, and the consumer is going to continue to be "invited" to appear in court and/or be asked to pay a hefty fine. This, in my opinion (IMO), is unfortunate for the consumers and enthusiasts that want to customize their vehicles, but it is in the best interest of public safety. Also IMO, the manufacturers should be the ones to suffer, not the consumer. After all, you are buying products that are typically advertised as being "street legal," but are routinely being ticketed and fined for having illegal taillamps. And many of these same products, are being recalled for failing to comply with Federal motor vehicle safety standards. Maybe consumer efforts to pursue these importers (that are profiting from your hard earned dollars) and not the enforcers (State and Federal authorities) would be a more effective use of ones energy.

I understand why enthusiasts consider this to be an intrusion on their rights to customize their vehicles, fortunately you are under no obligation to return them (subject to a safety recall) if you don't want to. However, you may want to take a step back and consider what may (and has) happen(ed) in the event of an accident.

For conversations sake, let's say you got hit from behind by another motorist that was completely at fault. When the claims adjuster comes to evaluate the damage to your vehicle, he HAS grounds to deny your claim because you "made inoperative" required lighting equipment on the rear of your car. One must remember that insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums, and that paying claims hurts their bottom line. If you think that adjusters aren't smart enough to notice, well... they are. Insurance companies know what NHTSA is doing, and so do their claims adjusters. Btw, the motorist (remember the guy that ran into you when you were minding your own business?), or his attorney, also noticed you had clear taillamps. Well guess what, he has grounds to sue you and he/she will have attorneys lining up at his door to collect that easy, and large, fee.

IMO, as an auto enthusiast, I'd rather spend my money on suspensions and engine work before I installed illegal lighting products. With such a litigious society, I would not put my family at risk.

Regarding NHTSA, I know quite a few people that work there and I was very surprised to find out how many of them are also car enthusiasts. There aren't to many private industry (or gov't) jobs where you can get such an involvement in the auto industry with all the fringe benefits of being a gov't employee. Where else can you get paid to attend the SEMA show, industry car shows, research car magazines, and evaluate all the exotic vehicles that get imported into the US? I hear that several of the people there are on a first name basis with big wigs like Gates, Leno, Allen, etc...

As was mentioned in a previous post, you can check the following site that lists the current NHTSA recalls on these types of products:

http://fmvss108.tripod.com

It also has some information on Altezza style and clear taillamps and justifications as to why the current designs may not comply with Federal laws.

Also, the people at NHTSA are continuing to investigate companies like APC, Car Wear, JKL, Outback (OBX), Ultimate Product, Keystone, and JC Whitney for importing and/or selling noncompliant taillamps. I also hear they will are planning to pursue some of the other "big name" retailers that market these types of items when the resources become available.

I'd like to thank all of you in advance for allowing me to post my views, even though I am not a regular visitor to your forum.

Regards.

I dunno about some people.. but I and probablly most of yall spend a lot of money on keeping the clears as visible as possible.. I personally don't see a problem in having the lense clear and the bulb red.. with my new LEDS.. the bulb is very bright and very red.. no fading. no probs (I'd recommend these if you are keeping your clears, jamstriats.. yo ucan get them for godfather customs) I'm very conscious about what people say and how people react to my lights.. if I come to a redlight and the car behind me slams on brakes and glares at me in the mirror.. then perhaps he didn't see it.. but I've made tons of precautions to make sure I'm visible.. for instance.. the red reflectors in my bumper.. a stock addition to the mountaineer, but a very useful element, glares the other drivers right in the face.. I check my turn signals and brakes in the reflection of my othre cars in the garage almost every night to make sure they work, and I'm constantly checking custom accessories pages to ensure that I have the latest and greatest for braking.. I had to mod my lenses today to make my taillight guards fit.. dremel tool to the inside lip.. if I had to remove them, I'd have to mod my stock lenses.. which are ugly and cost much more for me than the clears did.. overall.. the reaction has been the same from the people I ask around campus "what are you talking about? I can tell when you're braking" so if people know I'm braking.. and the light is red... is there a problem? the government needs to calm down and get over it.. sometimes people have to break the rules to get things done.. they're being tightwads about it.. shouldn't they worry about something else? like the 4000000000 or whatever homeless people? or maybe the huge national debt? theres a lot more problems in this nation than a bunch of "roudy" young people...

ok... I think my points made ;) but seriously tho.. how else can you mod your car in the rear butg with new taillights? whats back there? a hatch door and some lights.. a bumper.. a few other trinkets.. but nothing else! I would be happy with a plain red taillight, maybe even some like the put on the new mustang. I call them "crystal clears".. whats a guy to do? honestly..

DarkFox,

Since your Mountaineer has those reflectors in the bumper, you're probably legal. Texas law basically has two provisions for taillights: 1) there need to be reflectors (yours are in the bumper, and 2) the brake lights (and red running lamps) need to be visible from a certain distance (different in night and day). Since you have the LEDs and those reflectors, you're probably legal, and could probably fight a ticket in court.

The point is that the laws exist for the public safety. I'm frequently behind little ricers with clears, and I can't see a darn thing when they hit their brakes. Most of them also don't have the reflectors, so you can't see them when they're parked (at night or in weather).

If you're safe and follow the rules, you're covered. There is something to be said about making yourself less vulnerable to accidents and such.

Oh, Welcome to the site Mr. 108, and thank you for your comments.

ya, true.. I know what you mean.. and I'm glad you said it.. I had forgotten all about the foreign cars.. some reason.. on those models, you cannot really tell that they are braking..

I hope I'm legal. I don't want to take my guards off :)

I'm calmed down now.. I think I was kind of ranting in that last post, but its true, the clears can be a bit confusing at times, but drivers already suffer from not paying attention.. it seems like we need something like this to make other drivers pay attention sometimes.

One more thing...

I appreciate the honest replies, however, I may not have gotten my point across...

I was just attempting to inform everyone that it does not matter what an individual believes when it comes to clear taillamps. It is "common law" now that the aftermarket all-clears are noncompliant, and illegal for sale in the US, no matter what color bulb you have in them. I would hate to see anyone get "tapped" in the rear by a con man who claims whiplash, beats you up in court, and then you get black listed by your insurance company. It is not as far fetched as it sounds, and IMO, its not worth it. But as I said in my previous post, you are under no obligation to return your clear tails because Federal laws do not apply to you.

You brought up a interesting point in your last reply. The installation of guards over lighting equipment can also be a problem depending on the design of the guards. With a combo of clears and guards, maybe I'll come find you too, I could use the extra cash ;) Grill guards can be a problem too. Did you know that it is a violation of Federal law to have anything in front of a headlamp? At least, it is to a manufacturer, dealer, or repair shop that does the installation. And yes, Land Rover has been in violation of Federal law for years with the grill guards they install at the factory. I guess the government has better things to do...

One more thing, regarding the gentleman from TX. Clear taillamps on a motor vehicle in TX are absolutely illegal, even with red bulbs. They feel so strongly about it that they put it up on there website. Here are two links to their site you may want to check out:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

As always, I thank you for the opportunity to participate in your forum. I am not here to badger or ridicule anyone, only to be informative of the current state of affairs in the US regarding the enforcement of lighting products.

Regards.

its not THAT hard to see.. I don't see why it doesn't comply.. people do these things all the time, the government should look at things more closley not just examine the laws they made in 1843 and try to comply with it.. things change.. so should the government, whether I can change it or not, I can at least talk about it.

what reasoning does the government have for having things over your headlights? I have before and after pictures of my truck on my photopoint with the headlights on.. you can't even tell the guards are there.. in no way do they block the vision of those lights.. infact a huge chrome thing on your front end makes the vehicle more visible, and if the clears are done correctly, so can they, when the lights are clear then something appears red inside.. it seems to me that person is quite obviously braking.. not to mention the 14"? "luminon" strip high mount brake light across the top which glows brighter than any light I've seen.. red reflectors, red bulbs, a 14" red strip of light and the fact that the vehicle is leaning forward as if its braking and is getting larger in your view.. that seems quite obvious t ome if you are actually paying attention that its braking.. and you know its the back of the vehicle.

I've thought about that.. people trying to hit me just to rip me off.. I make extra precautions when I brake to leave a large gap in front of me and after the driver behind me pulls up, then I finish pulling up to the car in front of me.. it doesn't seem logical that someone could hit me at a dead stop at a redlight.. with an 8" (at least) circular red ballk above my vehicle with the excuse "I couldn't tell you were stopped"

I understand what you say fmvss about all of this.. but before I got the clears I reasearched them as best I could for a year, asking people, looking at examples, trying to make concept designs in corel, I didn't arbitrarilly go out and buy these things.. at the time I knew they were not DOT approved but had seen tons of people in the area with them and felt comfortable, having the red reflectors in my bumper, that people would be able to see me..

looking at the link you posted.. I can only see 1 problem, and that one has been avoided also.

"no RED stoplamp, must emit red or amber light" it does.. when I apply the brakes, my lights are red

"no RED reflector, reflector must reflect RED light" no problem.. red reflectors in my bumper are in plain view of the driver behind me, as well as the clears, but the red ones are much larger and cover a wider area

"no RED taillamp must emit RED light" same as red stop lamp, when my lights are on, the light it gives off is red..

as far as the approval of bulbs, the amber is the only one approved, but I'm not running incandescent bulbs, I'm running LEDS, and from what I've seen, the sales pitch of being "more reliable efficient" all that stuff is correct, so they should actually be better than incandenscent bulbs.

been alittle obnoxious in this post.. I apologize, but, heh, as I've said before.. I'm a "clear taillight activist" I guess.. I like em and don't see anything wrong with em, so when people say things against them I get alittle too defensive :( sorry guys

I agree with Darkfox 100% who cares if you have a red reflector, what difference does it make? I understand the red bulbs and what not if they don't fade (like the LED's) but I presonally think that some of these laws are ridiculous. I am beginning to feel that the government is being biased on this whole issue. Like if you want superwhite turnsignals, why not? they are a blinking light that indicates where you are going Whats wrong with that? I am educated on this whole topic and can tell when a ricer is braking or not, even with the clears. I think people need to be more educated on these subjects and that the government should lighten up a little and stop trying to control us. Thanks for hearing me out.

(I had a better post but I lost it and this was all that I could remember from it)

Everything is against the law, so get used to it. But the thing is, you don't turn yourself in and for the most part you won't get a ticket or anything of the sort unless you are driving like an idiot, a cop can use that as an excuse.

Put personally I will not buy anything that I know isn't street legel, just isn't worth the hassle. I always ask to make sure they are legal.

I try and do the same thing but it always turns out that the coolest looking aftermarket products for your truck are illegal :(

Quick - You are absolutly right, I have found that if you drive responsibly and what not, that cops really don't bother you but if you do get pulled over than they usually try and hit you up for everything on your car. This has happened to a couple of my friends and they fought their way out of it but it's still a huge hassle.

I agree 4wheelin, I've thought long and hard about these things.. especially since this post has started.. I've actually been a bit worried about it.. I've thought about painting the clears red on the inside, ot make a total red taillight.. or maybe even getting the black outline on the taillights painted white, but it just isn't enough.. I want exactly what I have on there.. the clears

I can also agree with where/how you drive has something to do with it.. I mean, you get clears and you go 75 in a 30.. TICKET for more than just clears ;)

after the last post, I started to read through the texas thing more closley.. it said something about being able to identify the back of the vehicle from 1000 feet away.. and I thought "can I SEE a vehicle 1000 feet away??" after lookin around.. its a maybe.. my driveway is 600 feet.. and I know I can't see a car from the end of that thing.. much less tell if its the back of the car. there was another one reguarding 300 feet, which, yes, with the red reflectors in my bumper I can identify that thta is the back of the vehicle.

heh, I think I talk too much on this thread

Yea, some laws are absolutly ridiculous and make no sense at all.
Darkfox - Stick with the clears, they look really good and I don't think you will have a problem with them.

I think some of those laws are BS...The clears with red bulbs are 100% visible, I do not see how anyone except that is color blind could not see them. At first I was kind of worried if people would see them or not and i've had them for a couple months now and I love them, no complaints, only compliments. The government should spend more time worried about drunk drivers and other incapable drivers that kill people instead of worrying about the scare people who complain about not being able to tell if we are braking. I think this is flat out stupid.......BTW i'm in New Mexico.

oh yea, very true.. gosh.. if I had a penny everytime someone swerved in front of me only to slam on brakes and turn into a parking lot, not using their signal once.

I have had a few complaints.. but for every 1 complaint I get like 30 "no man, those people are crazy" I beleive I got the clears around late summertime (I can't remmeber) and in that time I've had 3 people say something about not being able to see them.

Do the 83-92 Ranger clears on autosyndicate.com fit a 91-94 Ford Explorer ?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the corners? yea, I beleive they are the same as the explorers

Back