Clear corners, tail lights, etc... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clear corners, tail lights, etc...

I've got a '99 XLT.

What's the general consensus on the clear corners sold all over eBay for what appears to be pretty cheap?

Are they fall-apart type crap that isn't going to last, or prematurely yellow?

If they're not a quality part, anyone have a source to an online vendor that does sell quality pieces?

Also, how about just plain clear tail lights? Having searched eBay, I can only find ONE set of these tail lights, and they're used (would prefer new).

I can't find a single vendor that sells just clear lights - they're all ugly as sin euro or altezza wanna-be's.

Any help you can provide would be MOST appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The reason for not finding all clear taillights is that they are illegal and were stopped being made a few years ago.

Since when are clear taillights illegal? They're completely legal in Oregon and Washington, provided that the proper colored bulbs (red, amber, etc.) are installed.

They (all that i know of) never got a DOT stamp, so no they are NOT legal. And i can tell you i hate Clears, once wanted them, back in the days when i was stupid(not sayign wanting them is stupid, but back than i cared botu looks). But i absolutely hate them, and euros for that fact, durign the day when the suns out, they are So hard to see. I dotn know how many wrecks ive almsot been in, and i have to wear glasses to drive, and still they are hard to see......

but yea, illegal becuase of no DOT approval...

kythri said:
Since when are clear taillights illegal? They're completely legal in Oregon and Washington, provided that the proper colored bulbs (red, amber, etc.) are installed.

wrong, completely clear rear tailights are never legal per united states department of transportation (federal law) they do not have the proper red reflectors in them

anyways, i got some front clears for my toyota from www.procarparts.com and they have been on there for like 7 months now and look exactly like the day i installed them... never had a problem with quality issues, yellowing, or leaking

I have the $45 Ebay clear corners on my sploder. Look great, they're of good quality, and still look as good as when I put them on. As for the tails, I'm not a big fan of clear tails. I'd suggest just smoking your tails and not spending money for stuff like euros or clears.

got some clear corners 2 months ago off ebay for $25...sad to report that they are on the yellowish side...they look horrible.

j602 said:
I have the $45 Ebay clear corners on my sploder. Look great, they're of good quality, and still look as good as when I put them on. As for the tails, I'm not a big fan of clear tails. I'd suggest just smoking your tails and not spending money for stuff like euros or clears.

If my Explorer were black, white, grey, I might smoke them, but it's green - for some reason, I just can't get used to the smoked+green look.

Maybe things will be different once the XLS conversion + lift is completed.

I think smoked tails would look perfectly fine on a green X. Much better than altezzas or clears. Your truck and your choice though. How big of a lift/tires you goin for?

DannyDynamite said:
got some clear corners 2 months ago off ebay for $25...sad to report that they are on the yellowish side...they look horrible.

What seller did you buy from?

j602 said:
I think smoked tails would look perfectly fine on a green X. Much better than altezzas or clears. Your truck and your choice though. How big of a lift/tires you goin for?

Eventually, a 4-6" lift. Would prefer to do all suspension, but we'll see.

Initially, I think I'll just throw on the shackles and do the TT upgrade, and throw some 31" or 32" tires under there.

I just finally got finished with the stereo upgrade (all stealth!), which, at the moment, was more important, considering I drive about 120 miles a day for work.

Going to do the XLS conversion + shackles/TT + tires next. If I've got enough money left over next month, I might buy part of the suspension lift kit.

i bought my clear corners for my X from www.matrixracing.com (tailights too) have had them for about 7 months now and no yellowing whatsoever. But if yellowing is a concern they do make a clear lens to put over the outside of the headlights (kinda like smoke headlights) that protects them form yellowing and that cracking effect

What sucks it, on the new Nissans they have all clear tail lights that are stock DOT approved! But I checked out the lighting system and its super bright LEDS. In my personal opinon the all clear tail lights give off enough light. Also if you use a product called Blue Magic. Note: that was not a typo. Its not Black magic. Blue Magic is a plastic cleaner and scratch remover and also removes light yellowish hazes. I used it on my headlights and it helped alot

that sucks about the yellowing clear corners!!! i just bought some off him. i hope mine dont yellow. :fire: :shoot:

yea, i finally tossed my first set of ebay clears. they yellowed after say...2 and a half years. been with out them for about a month and had to buy some more tonight :D it just looks so much better with them on. im going to keep wax on them all the time and see if that helps any with this set. last set was from F1 motorsports...dunno who this set is from, the one with the limited on their auction. $36 shipped

got my clears from PCP (procarparts) on ebay, 30 some odd bucks shipped. To early to tell if they will be premature yellowers
got my altezzas on ebay too :)

I'm gonna have to toss my Ebay ones too. It's been on for about 3 years and the driver's side has actually started to get pretty yellow while the other one still look fine. So I'm stuck right in between. I'll wait until the diamond corners are coming out since I just bought some diamond headlight assemblies.

hey guys can any of you gimme some advise on how that whole keeping your corner lights waxed? I know it might be a dumb question but I'm just curious... THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back