How to: - Clearing Airbag codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Clearing Airbag codes

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

TimRay

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger Super XLT
You would think that fixing air bag problems was some sort of trade secret...VERY FEW people will give you information on them. I checked my local parts stores for advice (NAPA, AutoZone, Advance, O'Rielly) The common answer is "take it to a dealer" because people are afraid of setting off the airbag. Unless you short the system out just right, or hit a sensor hard. You should be safe. Just take the common precautions of disconnecting the battery...which can lead to a code 52!

If you have ever ran your trucks battery down, or unhooked the battery to work on something, you might have gotten a code 52 on your airbag light. I couldn't tell you what years this works for, but I know it worked great for my 95 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L with Auto trans. I couldn't find this info anywhere! So now I am sharing it with you!
By the way...OBDII scanners cannot clear ABS or Air Bag issues. Totally seperate systems!

I started with a code 12 (loss of power to the air bag system) which turned out to be a blown 10amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. After replacing the fuse, I had worked on several other things inside with the doors open for hours and ran the battery down with the dome lamp. I then got a code 52 (loss of power to the secondary power source for the airbag which is a capacitor) I have read in several places that this is a very common problem with Ford after a loss of battery power. The solution was to "go to the dealer to have them reset it" Who wants to pay for an expensive dealer fix when you can do it yourself easily.

HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT:

Quoted from Mitchell (my observations after each step)

CLEARING CODES
1. Only intermittent codes and codes that diagnostic monitor recognizes as being repaired may be cleared from memory. To clear codes, cycle ignition OFF to ON. Observe AIR BAG warning light. AIR BAG warning light will illuminate for 4-8 seconds, and flash fault code.

(Comment) Loosely translated - If you dont have the problem fixed, this wont work. Code 52 should clear with this!

2. Locate air bag diagnostic 2-pin connector.

(Comment) This was a fun one. According to the air bag wiring diagram that I also got from Mitchell, the Airbag Diagnostic Connector is located "Right side of Instrument Panel". The only thing I found immediately to the right of the I/P (between the stereo and Instrument panel) was a black computer with 4 connectors which is NOT what I was looking for. I finally found a blog that mentioned the computer for the air bag computer was behind the right side kick panel. Sure enough....there it was. Attached to the side of the diagnostic computer was a two prong diagnostic connector.

3. Connect a jumper wire between diagnostic connector terminals. Leave jumper wire connected until diagnostic monitor tone sounds (about 5 seconds). Disconnect jumper wire. Fault code is cleared.

(Comment) After doing this, I heard the loud tone and it immediately gave a different code, but I turned the key to the OFF position and then back ON after disconnecting the jumper.....NO MORE LIGHT!!! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hm, sounds easy enough, so u just use a jumper wire on each side of the connector then? what exactly is code 52 (just got that the other day) i have it and need it cleared real quick for inspection lol thanks

Airbag Code clear

Code 52 is loss of power to the airbag system such as a disconnected or dead battery. So if you ran your battery down or disconnected the battery, it will give you a Code 52.

All you have to do is remove the right kick panel and you will see the airbag computer. On the right side of the computer is a connector with 2 wires going to it. The connector has one of those plastic push things to hold it in place. I took a screwdriver and gently pulled it loose so you can access it easier. Mine had some dust built up on it from 12 years of not being used... inside the connector you will see 2 metal prongs. Use some sort of jumper wire or something to cross the two terminals with the key in the "on" position. After about 5 to 10 seconds, you will hear a loud beep. That means that the codes are clear. Remove the jumper, turn the key off and then turn the key back on. Light should be off.

When I turned the key back on, it gave me another code, but then I cycled the key from off to on one more time and it was clear.

I really hope this works for you. I was sooooo frustrated trying to find out this info.

ya me too, i searched for a while and didnt find anything, ill try that this weekend i hope it works, i dont think it will pass inspection with engine light/ abs light/ airbag lights on, and which all 3 are, so ill try anything to fix it. thanks alot

Question for ya guys, i was gonna try the jumper wire thing, i took the right kick panel off, but could not find the connector i needed to cross. took a pic of it can someone point out where its located? thanks alot guys. i thought of the one wrapped in pink, any ideas?

1000085ri8.jpg

Those two wires are going to the fuel pump inertia switch. The air bag systems changed often year to year. I have a 2000 model module that is giving me a #36 error code, which I believe is looking for side air bags.

o ok, anyone know where these wires are on a 96? cdw, i read that under the drivers seat there is a yellow plug for side airbags, unplug it, blow the dust off inside, and re-connect, that should fix the side airbag light.

I was just pointing out the 99-01 difference. 1999 had no side airbags, so this 2000 module is not happy. My body harness is a 2000 EB model though, so I do have side airbag connectors. I am going to try a 2.2 ohm resistor in each tomorrow, rather than buying a 99 module.

I was just pointing out the 99-01 difference. 1999 had no side airbags, so this 2000 module is not happy. My body harness is a 2000 EB model though, so I do have side airbag connectors. I am going to try a 2.2 ohm resistor in each tomorrow, rather than buying a 99 module.

o ok got ya now, so u have to get the same year module if u swap them, ya i would try anything cheap, those things are expensive i bet

I got lucky at $25, but usually they can run $50+, many sellers want to sell them with bags.

I always used the snap on modis,they will clear and give you the values on the pids for repairing the system,found that a lot of the european and volvo's they will not due to the factory not releasing the tech info to snap on or any other tech service info co.but when I worked for ford I used the WDS and the NGS.. I found that as long as I had use of a scanner,tech info and other various airbag tools, I would have no problem with air bag diag.:)

By the way...OBDII scanners cannot clear ABS or Air Bag issues. Totally seperate systems!

If the tool is so equiped. My Matco MD 1000 is so equiped and has dignosed and cleared many issues. All through the DLC.

Hello, help please

Those two wires are going to the fuel pump inertia switch. The air bag systems changed often year to year. I have a 2000 model module that is giving me a #36 error code, which I believe is looking for side air bags.

Any Idea Where that 2 prong switch is on the 2000 model?:salute:

The fuel pump inertia switch is in the same place for all 95-01 Explorers. You can find it on the firewall in the passenger foot well, right under the AC box. It is exposed, which is why that connector can be damaged by a persons feet.

I think he was asking where the two prong connector for the air bags is on a 2000.

Yes, I wasn't sure about that. My 99 Limited has no aide air bags, but the air bag wires still go to the seat. Under the seat right next to where the main wiring goes in, the air bag connector is there. On trucks without the aide air bags, the connect is a special resistor, needed to cancel the air bag light. My module is from a 2000 model truck and the seat connectors are different. I have ordered a 2000 model air bag seat resistor to try to stop the air bag light.

Code 52 is loss of power to the airbag system such as a disconnected or dead battery. So if you ran your battery down or disconnected the battery, it will give you a Code 52.

All you have to do is remove the right kick panel and you will see the airbag computer. On the right side of the computer is a connector with 2 wires going to it. The connector has one of those plastic push things to hold it in place. I took a screwdriver and gently pulled it loose so you can access it easier. Mine had some dust built up on it from 12 years of not being used... inside the connector you will see 2 metal prongs. Use some sort of jumper wire or something to cross the two terminals with the key in the "on" position. After about 5 to 10 seconds, you will hear a loud beep. That means that the codes are clear. Remove the jumper, turn the key off and then turn the key back on. Light should be off.

When I turned the key back on, it gave me another code, but then I cycled the key from off to on one more time and it was clear.

I really hope this works for you. I was sooooo frustrated trying to find out this info.

Can someone please tell me where the air bag computer is located in a 2000
Explorer XLT? I want to try the above fix but I did not see the computer when I removed the kick panel.Also someone disabled the airbag light and I need to know how they did it. I just bought the explorer from a dealer and if I find out how he did it there is gonna be trouble for him. When I bought it the ABS and Air Bag light was on.I told him to fix it and Now they're both off but I still get the 5 chimes 5 times audible warning that I have an air bag problem. In other words he rigged it to make the lights go out!
Can someone please help me?
Thanks!

The dash lights are just bulbs, but I'd check fuses first. The 95-01 air bag modules are all in the right kick panel, where old Mustangs had the PCM. The wiring goes into the module from underneath, two connectors I believe in all of them.

I don't know of another two pin connector near to the air bag module. The mention of a diagnostic connector doesn't remind me of anything, and I've had my entire wiring out. I wonder if that thread starter didn't jump the inertia switch connector. Does anyone else know more about the air bag diagnostics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like I said it comes through the DLC aka the OBD-II connector.

Back