• Register Today It's free!

Clicking/abs

floydfly

Reaction score
City, State
Denver,CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Anyone know why LOUD clicking comes from the little jack compartment, above the driver side rear wheel when brakes, or left turn signal are applied. Seems like it clicks like crazy, then the ABS light comes on, and clicking stops.
I would like to kill 2 birds w/ one stone. Stop clicking, and keep ABS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my '92 (with tow package), that is where the trailer light relays are located. When you have a trailer hooked up, you should hear clicking from that area when signaling/braking as the relays are actuated. Standard trailer wiring uses the same circuit for brake and turn signal wiring. Your symptoms suggest to me that you have a short in the brake/turn signal trailer wiring that is causing those relays to be actuated. I can't explain how the ABS ties in.

Thanks!
I'll check that out.
I do have the tow package.

I found a really easy fix for this one.
Theres a pull apart connector for the trailer lights under the driver rear bumper/well area. Just pull apart, and push together when needed.

I wonder if any of those relays would not make my 4x4 work? If any body knows, E-mail me. Dopler174@aol.com. Thanks.

I did hear of one guy getting his 4WD to work by pushing the reset button back in those relays. But from what I've read here, it is more likely the 4WD shift motor. Do a search for shift motor.

Back