"Clicking" noise in dash w/fan on low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Clicking" noise in dash w/fan on low

Jsls

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Have read many links about problems with the blend door(s) on 02-08 Ford Explorers, but none quite like ours. We have an '08 that has a faint but annoying "clicking" noise directly behind the center console vents... but we only hear it when the fan is on low. Sounds like a blend door with a spring that doesn't quite hold it shut. Also -- everything seems to work (many report their heater stops working). Our warranty expires next month, so it's either "fix it now or wait until something actually stops working."

Has anyone experienced this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably is noisey blower motor.

Definitely not the blower moter. It is very distinguishable as a vent door "flapping". I'm just not sure if it's broken... or just a crappy design (i.e. with too weak a spring at low fan speed).

I get some ticking sound at low fan speed, slightly annoying.

Is it a click every few seconds, or is it more rapid? Does it do it with the AC on, off, defrost on, off, at all settings? Change with the fan speed?

In our Mounty I sometimes hear a click every few seconds, in the summer when the AC is on. I have no idea either.

I can tell you that on my Mustang...that's about what I hear, and it's the blend door actuator that's bad. I've just been too lazy to take the whole damn dash out to replace that $20 part.

It is fairly rapid (1 to 2x per second)... irregular (sounds like plastic door)... not dependent on AC on or off... and is only audible on the lower fan settings (may be there on higher settings, but not loud enough to be heard). For the most part it is there all the time... maybe a foam gasket fell off because it sounds like plastic-on-plastic noise.

Hi Jsls,

My name is Cory from Ford Customer Service. I would like to try to address the clicking noise you mentioned with your 2008 Explorer. I’m sure it’s very frustrating to have this happen so close to the end of your warranty. Have you had it looked at by a Ford dealership yet to diagnose the noise? If you send me your VIN in a private message, I can document the concern and see if there is anything I can do to help.

Cory
Ford Customer Service Division

I have the same issue with my 2006 Eddie Bauer. The A/C works great, but I want to be able to use the heater. When I turn the temperature anywhere off the blue, there's like a clicking/knocking noise every couple of seconds. I did not buy the car from a Ford dealer, and my extended warranty does not cover this repair (i've already called). I've heard it's the blend door actuator that costs $50. The labor is over $1,000 because you have to tear apart the entire dashboard to get to the part. Any suggestions on what to do?

Wow!

Who said you have to tear apart the entire dashboard?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298538

edwx, you just saved me and my wife's sanity. I went to the thread and found BigRondo's post with step-by-step pictures on how to replace the blend door actuator. I am now exicted to know that I can do this repair myself. I'm going to block out a weekend afternoon and do this repair.

Now, I have a dumb question. I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer edition. Is this a Generation III or Generation IV? - I googled it and found I have a G IV. How much difference is there between the G III fix with Big Rondo's instructions and the G IV?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

The above link includes the step-by-step process of changing the blend door actuator.

Yes, you have a Gen. IV. It's an easier fix than a Gen. III. Here's the instructions from the Ford repair CD. Check out the link that I gave you as to how I did it. If you have any specific ?'s, PM me, and I'll walk you through it when you are ready. Trust me, I'm no mechanic, and if I did it, anyone can do it.

Temperature Blend Door Actuator — LH

Item Part Number Description
1 19E616 LH temperature blend door actuator

Removal and Installation

Remove the LH floor console finish panel.
Position the in-vehicle temperature sensor aspirator hose away from the LH temperature blend door actuator.
Remove the 3 LH temperature blend door actuator screws.
Disconnect the LH temperature blend door actuator electrical connector.
Remove the LH temperature blend door actuator.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Yes! It's that easy. They use the LH (left hand) designation in case you have dual climate zones, and in that case there's also a RH one on the other side.

Yes, you have a Gen. IV. It's an easier fix than a Gen. III. Here's the instructions from the Ford repair CD. Check out the link that I gave you as to how I did it. If you have any specific ?'s, PM me, and I'll walk you through it when you are ready. Trust me, I'm no mechanic, and if I did it, anyone can do it.

Temperature Blend Door Actuator — LH

Item Part Number Description
1 19E616 LH temperature blend door actuator

Removal and Installation

Remove the LH floor console finish panel.
Position the in-vehicle temperature sensor aspirator hose away from the LH temperature blend door actuator.
Remove the 3 LH temperature blend door actuator screws.
Disconnect the LH temperature blend door actuator electrical connector.
Remove the LH temperature blend door actuator.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Yes! It's that easy. They use the LH (left hand) designation in case you have dual climate zones, and in that case there's also a RH one on the other side.

I don't have dual climate controls (i wish i did b/c it'd be nice though) I found the part at PepBoys for $30, and it'll take about a week for it to come in. I plan on doing a step-by-step picture install like Big Rondo did for the G III. You have been a huge help, edwx.

I finally replaced my blend door actuator. edwx, your instructions from your previous post was spot on. It took me 20 minutes to replace. i used the Dorman part instead of the Motorcraft b/c i had a $35 gift card from pep boys. For future reference, the Dorman part number is 604-207 and is called the Air Door Actuator.

The screws were a little hard to get to, but i managed to get to them with a 6" extension. i now have heat again and there is no clicking noise! This forum has just saved me $1,000.

I finally replaced my blend door actuator. edwx, your instructions from your previous post was spot on. It took me 20 minutes to replace. i used the Dorman part instead of the Motorcraft b/c i had a $35 gift card from pep boys. For future reference, the Dorman part number is 604-207 and is called the Air Door Actuator.

The screws were a little hard to get to, but i managed to get to them with a 6" extension. i now have heat again and there is no clicking noise! This forum has just saved me $1,000.

That's freaking awesome, man. I think I need to do the same to mine.

I have a question, though. When I look up the Dorman part #604-207 it says Heat Blend Door Actuator and the part #604-202 is the Air Door Actuator. I'm a little confused. :p:

Way to go jrfowler1!

For anyone who's interested, the 4 possible Motorcraft part #'s for Blend Door Motors @ Rock Auto are YH1743, YH1744 (the one I used for my XLS), YH1746, and YH1759. They also have the Dorman ones too.

Wanted to update and complete this thread

Got it in to the Ford dealer before our 3yr warranty expired. Took 3 trips, a lot of time, but the problem was the "motor" on the right side blend door: a stripped gear on an enclosed non-serviceable DC motor about the size of an electrical panel breaker. Bill would have been $470 if not under warranty! The big issue here is that the Ford Dealer can't just replace the $39 motor without absolute 100% verification of THAT as the problem, or they get no reimbursement from Ford.

In any case, the "clicking" noise is now gone. Total silence on low air setting! Really appreciated the personal post from the Ford rep on this post... in case we hadn't gotten it resolved with the dealer.

New Problem

Ok, I have an update on my blend door replacement. The heater works great without any noise, even on high. At first, I was able to switch between cold and hot. BUT NOW, my AC doesn't work at all. it blows hot air when on cool. yes, the A/C button is on and the temperature is on the blue. any ideas? my guess is i'll have to take it out and put it back in to see if the switch works?

It is an issue since it'll be 29 one day and then 70 the next...gotta love South Louisiana weather...

Well, that's just great. I can only hope the same doesn't happen with me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like you say, take it out but leave it connected and rotate the dial from hot to cold.....with a/c on and off......if it turns, then you know it's not the actuator.....might have a refrigerant leak or need a recharge.

Back