Clunking etc noise from chassis

Karpov

Reaction score
City, State
Finland so my english is bad :D
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4x4 '93
94 expo again :D

When i drive bumbs or little bit harsh road car noises clunk clunk clunk.

It comes from chassis but what is common problem cause on these?

Again i have to ask there because i dont get parts so easily or fast.

Someday i think it comes front, someday rear :D

There is not much parts that can cause clunks... New rubbers are in longnitude arms front i dont know name.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually it is from the radius arm bushings, but sounds like you have already replaced them. However, if the brackets for the bushings are damaged, new bushings will still clunk around.

Ball joints clunk too. Also some ball joints aren't sized right for the camber eccentric bushings, so the joints clunk back and forth within the eccentrics. I have this problem on one of my Explorers. Do not buy Mevotech brand ball joints...

Also , If you have older shocks the bushings could be worn down and could be metal to metal on some bumps , I have had it happen before and replaced the bushings and the noise went away , but my bushings were shot , as in almost not existent lol . Good luck and report back if/when you find the problem , may help others down the road .

Thanks for answers!

Yea radius arm bushings are new. I dont know about brackets because ex owner did that job.

Voice is like stabilizer bar link noise from ordinary car but these seems to be ok.

Car has adjustable shocks (not air, somehow when you take it off and spin it comes harder/softer) and they are very hard so im not sure are they okay... Rear end is little bit lower than front.

Shocks are like humans, they get soft with proceeding age, so yours seem to be ok.
Sagging rear end? Your springs in the back aren't the youngest anymore.

I drived many different bumbs and holes and now im sure that noise comes from front.

Is the front sway bar stock? Some aftermarket sway bars don't have the right size bolt holes and can clunk where the links attach. Check the links themselves too.

Lift it off its wheel and go with a crowbar at any joint you see.

Can i but normal bushings in stabilizer bar or dog bone style or is it same which one?

If I'm not mistaken, it has to be the dog bone style to prevent lateral movement.

They sold dog bone style and normal so two different kind of solutions have been?

Moog and other companies sell replacement sway bar end link bushings, but it is really hard to replace them because the old ones have to be pressed out. Moog does sell complete sway bar end links with bushings, that may be an easier option. For the bracket bushings, you should be able to find a stock or polyurethane replacement.

Not to hijack a thread, but how hard is it to replace the bushings in the radius arm bushings? I tend to have a big clunk and groan in the front end going over speed bumps.

I have done that multiple ways:

Take socket that is just that big than "dog bones" outer line and but socket there. Then hit smaller socket on rubber part and it will move slowly and drop. If oyu can get it move, then it comes out sooner or later.

Or take drill (i dont know english name) same kind that you can do holes on your wall, rounded. You can drill rubber off and with knife you can get rips off.

That manouver needs dog bone to not move so but it on jaws.

Not to hijack a thread, but how hard is it to replace the bushings in the radius arm bushings? I tend to have a big clunk and groan in the front end going over speed bumps.

Do a search, there are several threads on how to do it. It's not easy, but if someone has done them before and replaced the rivets with bolts then it is about a hour job or less. Otherwise, you either drill/grind off the rivets for the arm brackets and pull them off, or the much harder method of removing the arm nuts and pulling the axle forward to remove the bushings.

Problem found. Front right brake caliper is loose. It gives clunk noise which stops when i press firmly brake.

Its probably those metal "nails" which holds caliper i think?

The caliper slide pins are replaceable and aren't expensive. RockAuto sells them. Make sure when you install the pins that you clean all the rust and dirt out first, then grease the new pins and guides before installation.

Removal and installation are simple, they just slide in and out, you can carefully knock them in with a hammer and punch.

Yeah today i installed new pins and tadaa no clunking anymore!

Hmph.

Ive drived with open window and now there is new voice.

Its like ratlatlatlat when i drive bumby road.

Comes on drivers side only i think.

I first think that shock was loose because i replaced it little time ago but i checked and tightened it but nothing different.

Ford original shock with long rubber what comes thru iron where shock comes and plate type head bolt. Old have plates on both sides and rubbers too.

I dont figure anything else...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually it is from the radius arm bushings, but sounds like you have already replaced them. However, if the brackets for the bushings are damaged, new bushings will still clunk around.

Ball joints clunk too. Also some ball joints aren't sized right for the camber eccentric bushings, so the joints clunk back and forth within the eccentrics. I have this problem on one of my Explorers. Do not buy Mevotech brand ball joints...

Aww man why not? I just bought them to replace the original ball joints upper and lower and now I have a clunk with every little bump I go over. Me and my wife can both feel it in the floor but it seems louder on her side. Truck is at 136k with probably damn near everything original. Everything seemed kosher when I got all done and back on the ground except the passenger wheel was always screwy, turning to the right all the time when I got it but some string and a tie rod adjusting wrench straightened it out for now. Camber is whacked and the adjuster is all the way out but I have no idea if my uncle bashed a curb or something at some point or not.

Back