CO2 Onboard air, Hazmat Regulations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CO2 Onboard air, Hazmat Regulations

sparkyXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Limited AWD 5.0L
So I have been looking into putting On-board air in my X. I want this because of the fact that if I do ever get around to going on some more wheelin trips I do not have to depend on someone else for air or some other method. I don't want to drop 500$ on a PowerTank setup, dont get me wrong they are great, but I would rather put that money into somethings else.

So anyways I went up to a local pepsi distrubution center around where I live to see if they had any tanks that I could buy from them or if they could order an extra tank that I could pick up from them. A lady said that they do have their own there on site but could not get me one because they are not allowed to sell them... Then she told me that even if she was able to get me one I could not carry it in my car because of Hazmat code or something along those lines...
Has anybody ran into a problem with having a CO2 tank in your Vehicle?

I wonder if there is a max size bottle that you can have cause paintballing I would have multiple tanks in my car including my 20oz and a backup 9oz along with a friends 20oz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no hazmat code as long as the clyinder is DOT approved

Damn her, she just didn't want to get me one...lol

Thanks

she just didn't want to get me one...lol

Yup, pretty much. A friend of mine in the food service industry got me one that I used to use and still do on occasion. A 20lb bottle is just too big though. I picked up a small 5lb alumnimum tank for $10 at an estate sale that has worked well although a 10lb would be more ideal.

hmmm try coke lol. maybe they will give you one....how much pressure is usually in a tank/

Just a thought, but what about a used 10 lb nitrous oxide bottle?

a C02 tank is pressurized up to aproxx 3000 psi, A bit mroe then a standard compressed air tank...I went to the local "adult beverage store" and asked them about tanks cause they use them to presurize kegs so you dont have to pump the tap... the only ones that they had were 5lb...and I am looking for a 10lb maybe 15lb, but the owner is going to see if the company that she gets them from can send a 10lb tank for me...:D I am not sure what a NOS bottle can withhold I know that they are pretty strong but can they hold the 3000 psi? any one who has one wanna pitch some info in? also do they have a burst disc to let the tank out incase of to much pressure from heat change?

a C02 tank is pressurized up to aproxx 3000 psi, A bit mroe then a standard compressed air tank...I went to the local "adult beverage store" and asked them about tanks cause they use them to presurize kegs so you dont have to pump the tap... the only ones that they had were 5lb...and I am looking for a 10lb maybe 15lb, but the owner is going to see if the company that she gets them from can send a 10lb tank for me...:D I am not sure what a NOS bottle can withhold I know that they are pretty strong but can they hold the 3000 psi? any one who has one wanna pitch some info in? also do they have a burst disc to let the tank out incase of to much pressure from heat change?

Nitrous usually operates in the 900-1200 psi range depending on the kit manufacturer. Though that is just the nitrous kit pressure range I do not know what the nitrous bottles are rated for.

They do have a burst disc that usually lets go at 1300psi so if this kind of bottle were used the disc would have to be swapped out. It might be more work than what it is worth to use a nitrous bottle if the CO2 bottles are relatively comparable in price.

Well rocket thank you for your info...
I tried doing some searching and I found similar answers saying the the kits are going to run around the pressure that you listed...but then I also found a few sites that were talking about a few gauges for nitrous and they were 0-1500psi or 0-2000 psi but any who...

I guess we will just see what the owner of the liquor store tells me, and if that is a no go then I will go find a welding supplier store or a gas company.

Yll just have to become buddys with a pepsi delivery man or coke man....

Well the liquor store owner is my neighbor so that kinda helps....

but O ya, get this! I forgot to add this when I said that I went in to the liquor store...So I asked the owner my neighbor if she had any tanks on hand that I could look at and see if they would work for my application or even buy today...she says yeah know problem I actually have one right here but I cant sell it (and picks one up from behind the counter), she told the that this one was going to be sent back to the company and get replaced but get why.....one of the employees was up on top of one of the beer cooler/fridges blowing of the vents and to the fridges and she knocked it off of the fridge almost ten feet down and hit the ground....valve first....it bent the valve pretty damn bad but it did not shear off or even leak at all! Thats a bit to close for me...

Air supply

Get the regulator first! Thats where the $$$ is. You can get a tank at a welding supply. Check out Merriam-Graves if you have one in your area.

I have see a very cheap setup using a paintball bottle and a paintball filling setup modified with a schrader valve clamp and a needle valve.

bat

Polyperformance has a resonably priced set-up and comes with mounting bracket, hose w/chuck, tank and regulator for a little over $200 for the 10lb. kit. You might be able to buy individual pieces like just the regulator, i know they sell individual pieces for nitrogen set-ups.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=57&cat=11&page=1

EDIT: They do sell individual parts for Co2 although their regulator is fixed at 175psi which means there's no adjusment, it's either on or off.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/home.php?cat=11

Nice find DB1, I have polyperformance saved as one of my favs on my comp but never really looked for air at that site...so in the kit is says the regulator is a 150psi Constant Flow Regulator, I would like to have ajustable but if not 150 should be ok correct? good flow for tires, and possible tools?

You can add a lower pressure regulator to cut the pressure more.

Nice find DB1, I have polyperformance saved as one of my favs on my comp but never really looked for air at that site...so in the kit is says the regulator is a 150psi Constant Flow Regulator, I would like to have ajustable but if not 150 should be ok correct? good flow for tires, and possible tools?

You're right on the 150psi regulator, I don't know why I typed 175psi:rolleyes:
For tires, it'll be more than fine as for tools you'll most likely need an adjustable regulator. 150psi is probably too much for some air tools.

K, Thanks...Unless the liquor store can get me a pretty good deal I think that I will be going with this setup (not sure if I want 10lb or 15lb yet), but right now it is only going to be used for tires so I think I will be fine and we will worry about the regulator for tools when I get the tools... Not sure if I will be getting this next or one of the many other things that is on my list but I will let you guys know when I do.

i prefer a compressor as opposed to a tank; where a tank has a limited supply a compressor is unlimited, if you really need to use airtools then get a duel unit, i've seen both the elec kind (what i used) and belt driven off the engine...just my 2 cents

Here in Canada you are supposed to have a Transportation of Dangerous Goods ticket to haul Co2cylinders with the appropriate sticker on your vehicle, having said that I've never been pulled over and asked if I had any dangerous goods on board.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it difficult to have a CO2 tank refilled? What typical cost would that be, and for what pressure? Thanks,

Back