codes: p0307,4,3 & 1 (& p1131)

Jdog69

Reaction score
City, State
wasatch range
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt 4x4 v8 'sploder
02' V8 explorer

Threw the p1131 EGR code for several months now but still seems to run fine and I haven't got around to replacing EGR stuff and was just gonna hold off until inspection

So today the engine suddenly started running like crap....had autozone shoot the codes for me: P0307, P0304, P0303 & P0301. So all these cylinders are misfiring all at once? I just replaced the sparkplugs 6 months ago!!

Could it be a vacume leak? (from when I seafoamed it 6 months ago)

what else would cause all 4 cylinders to quit?

Where would you start first ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

02' V8 explorer

Threw the p1131 EGR code for several months now but still seems to run fine and I haven't got around to replacing EGR stuff and was just gonna hold off until inspection

So today the engine suddenly started running like crap....had autozone shoot the codes for me: P0307, P0304, P0303 & P0301. So all these cylinders are misfiring all at once? I just replaced the sparkplugs 6 months ago!!

Could it be a vacume leak? (from when I seafoamed it 6 months ago)

what else would cause all 4 cylinders to quit?

Where would you start first ???

Start with the spark plug boots , they get dryrotted sometimes and then the spark will arc to the metal sleeve where the spark plug is rather than making it thru the spark plug (electricity always follows the path of least resistance) , that will cause misfires. pretty simble job to do yourself. Use some dielectric grease while your at it (just dab a little on the spark plug end of the boot)

ok I just spent a while taking out all the plugs, cleaned them up along with the coils & boots and regrease them w/the dialectric grease... and no changes... still misfiring. Keep in mind the engine was working perfectly then suddenly 4 misfires all at once.

any other ideas?

02' V8 explorer

Threw the p1131 EGR code for several months now
what else would cause all 4 cylinders to quit?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Looked up that code you listed here in the Haynes manual, wasn't one listed by that number. All the codes start with P0-followed by 3 numbers. If it happened to be P0131, that would be O2 sensor circuit, low voltage (bank1,sensor 1).

Where would you start first ?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have your coil pack checked.

02' V8 explorer

Threw the p1131 EGR code .....
Looked up that code you listed here in the Haynes manual, wasn't one listed by that number. All the codes start with P0-followed by 3 numbers. If it happened to be P0131, that would be O2 sensor circuit, low voltage (bank1,sensor 1).
I had autozone read me the codes and print it out for me. It does say P1131 on the print out they gave me.. .but their machine could be wrong I suppose. As far as coil packs. the V8 has 8 differnt COP modules. Is this what you mean? Seems strange that 3 of them went bad all at the same time.

I appreciate your time and response. Thanks!

It could be one or more of the below;
1. Worn out spark plugs, ignition wires, coil(s), distributor cap and rotor (when applicable)
2. Incorrect ignition timing
3. Vacuum leak(s)
4. Low or weak fuel pressure
5. Improperly functioning EGR system
6. Defective Mass Air Flow Sensor
7. Defective Crankshaft and/or Camshaft Sensor
8. Defective Throttle Position Sensor
9. Mechanical engine problems (i.e.—low compression, leaking head gasket(s), or valve problems

I'd start with the cleaning the MAF and EGR (or replace it, could be the sensor or valve itself) then check fuel pressure, compression and checking the rest of the sensor.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

I had autozone read me the codes and print it out for me. It does say P1131 on the print out they gave me.. .but their machine could be wrong I suppose.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't know what else to tell you on that code, but my Haynes manual covers Explorers 2002 thru 2010 model years. I looked thru every code page in the manual and didn't see those numbers listed there.

>>>>>>>>>>>As far as coil packs. the V8 has 8 differnt COP modules. Is this what you mean? Seems strange that 3 of them went bad all at the same time.>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>I appreciate your time and response. Thanks!>>>>>>>>>>

The "coil pack" would be the connection point for the spark plug wires at the opposite end from the spark plugs themselves. I don't know alot of technical info about them, just that they can go bad. They basically replaced the old distirbutors, rotors and caps that older vehicles used. My mechanic told me that the one I currently have is a replacement one, not the factory one. It must have been changed by a previous owner of my vehicle and was done sometime before the 82,000 mile mark when I bought it. I suggested it because you said you replaced the plugs already. BTW, your welcome.

Update:

Plugs were fine, COP's were fine, fuel filter & pump were fine, ERG is fine......
completely baffled me...so I forked out the dough & brought it to a shop... they took it apart and said the left timing chain was off a tooth. Estimated $900 for a new chain & tensioners & labor. So they put those on but they wouldnt fit because the valves were bent!!!! bill suddendly jumped up to $2800. So they sent out the valves to be machined... put it back together and somehow blew a hole in the bottom of the block??? I'm no mechanic but how in the #$%& would that happen ???
it's been over a month now they have to find a new to me engine and install it for the same price as they quoted me on the valves. If & when I ever get this thing back I am to scared to keep it. It only has 100k miles on it. Driven less than 12k per year. Come on ford.... really ?

so beware if your V8 explorer idles roughly... it could mean a $3k engine

Update:

& brought it to a shop... they took it apart and said the left timing chain was off a tooth. Estimated $900 for a new chain & tensioners & labor. So they put those on but they wouldnt fit because the valves were bent!!!! bill suddendly jumped up to $2800. So they sent out the valves to be machined... put it back together and somehow blew a hole in the bottom of the block??? I'm no mechanic but how in the #$%& would that happen ???
it's been over a month now they have to find a new to me engine and install it for the same price as they quoted me on the valves. If & when I ever get this thing back I am to scared to keep it.

Sounds to me a "rod" went thru the block, but I can't tell you exactly why that would have happened other than it must have been related to some new part they installed or the way they installed it that must have caused this to happen. Meaning, installed the wrong part or just simply, installed it wrong. Wrong torque on a part or forgot to tighten something up etc. When they went to run the engine afterwards, it blew the rod thru the engine block. You didn't have a blown rod when you took it there in the first place and you were driving it around prior to that, so what else could it be? One thing I wouldn't do is pay them twice ($2800 x 2) for them installing another engine after they ruined the first one. The way I see it is that they screwed up during the first $2800 repair, so they (the repair shop) should be on the hook for the new engine installation, not you. Over a month now and you are still waiting to get your truck back, that is BS as well! Shouldn't take that long. You may want to think about taking them to small claims court over the new engine fee ($2800) or if you do decide to pay for a new engine anyhow, then take it to another shop to have the work done, because I wouldn't trust this place you are at now. They'll have gotten $5600 + the tax from you by the time this is over and they sure as hell don't seem to be in any hurry to get you back on the road again with your vehicle. They know your vehicle can't go anywhere(be driven) and they already made $2800 off of you, so you have been put on the back burner while they take on new, incoming work each day. Good luck!

Back