• Register Today It's free!

Coil pack issue?

Diddy74

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
A curious thing happened to me today. I had the hood up doing some simple routine maintanence, checking fluids, changed the air filter etc. I cranked it up make sure everything was running smooth..so I was about to wrap things up and just took a towel and was lightly dusting, wiping grime off different things no serious major cleaning. I had brushed over the coil pack and was reminded the #1 rule of basic electricity...it wil travel the path least resistance! yup got a shock...To be sure nothing was loose and find out which one gave me the jolt I checked each one making sure the wires were seated snug and the plastic clips were locked..then when I got to #3(I think, its goes to the last plug closest to the firewall drivers side) I got another jolt just from grasping the clips. I shut down the motor and carefully examined the wire and the coil pack. I couldnt "see" any anomolies and I made sure the wire was seated and locked in making good contact....what could be the culprit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Much obliged, new plugs and wires are about due anyway but I never had anything like that happen b4 on any vehicle that I tinkered with under the hood.

Fun isn't it? Jon's correct, the plug boot has some sort ot fracture in it allowing the voltage to pass through. Once you grab ahold you ground the path of least resistance and ZAP!

Also high voltage wires can experience insulation breakdown. That's where the plastic around the wire loses it's insulating properties and the voltage leaks through. This can happen at sharp bends or where the wire crosses metal like going around the valve covers, even crossing other spark plug wires can cause it. That's why manufacturers use wire looms to separate the wires.

An easy check for leakage is to undo your hoodlight, and open your hood at night. If you see any blue discharges or even a corona it's time to change the wires.

I would check that plug wire with an ohm meter or just repace it. First you have a hole in the boot at the coil pack and possibly a bad wire or high resistance plug on that cyl. If you change both the wire and the plug this will 100 % cure this problem. Jim

Thanks for all the replies...I know this next question has been covered numerous times but since were on the subject...recommended plug and wire set?. I was leaning toward the Bosch brand this time around.

I've heard of too many issues with Bosch plugs. Go with Motorcraft or Autolite double platinums. I personally have had great results with Taylor SpriroPro wires.

Back