Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Last time I took the X out wheeling I managed to pop the front right spring out of the coil bucket three times. Once was when climbing a rock ledge and when that spring was out I ended having to drag the body of the truck over the ledge since the truck was lower w/out a spring holding it up.

The first time I put the spring back in the correct way (the end of the spring ended up where it is supposed to go).. The 2nd and 3rd time it happened I rotated the spring to try to get a little more meat to hold the spring in.. It been staying in since then, but I haven't flexed the truck since then.

If anyone has any insight into why this is hapening (why it pops up, when the drivers side doesnt' seem to have the issue) I'd appreciate it...

I was thinking of possibly using a j-hook as a spring keeper to hold the spring in, but I figured that would just limit my suspension travel (droop)..

I remember reading a thread years ago about someone modding the coil bucket to allow the spring to pop out and then pop back in when the suspension compressed some. It was noisy, but worked.. and of course, I can't find the thread.

My only other option is to use shorter shocks, or limiting straps (I don't like either idea).. If I use shorter shocks I could trade droop for stuff, but I figured getting more droop is better than more stuff when rock crawling (I don't jump the truck)..

My current front suspension is Duff 2.5" lift progressive rate coils on top of f-150 spring spacers with Duff 2.5" drop brackets for RA and pivot.

~Mark

I would fab up a keeper bracket to ensure the coil stays put. Shorter shocks will not work :eek: All the weight of the truck would be on the small upper shock nut... I have wheeled with a buddy with short shocks and both upper shock nuts shot off like a bullet :eek:

I used to run rancho shocks designed for a 2.5" lift with extra washers under the bottom bushing. This would make the shock look longer and give me a little extra travel.. I never had it pull the nuts off, but I could see it happening..

Last time I got shocks, I ordered shocks that were about 1.3" longer (I think thats right) so I got an overall longer shock.. good for droop, but it did cut down on my suspension stuff (I also went form 32" to 33" tires then). I have to redo my bump stop, as my shock is now my limiting factor, which already broke off my lower mount once when I had softer/worn springs.

~Mark

Back