2004 XLT 4.0 Cold Air Intake Issues... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 XLT 4.0 Cold Air Intake Issues...

pbmorrow67

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.0
What's the secret to getting an aftermarket cold air intake to work correctly. After complete installation, can't get the engine to settle into a steady idle - rough for a bit, then stalls... does the motor need to be tuned for the new setup - I thought the computer and MAF sensor self adjusted for the new air flow??? P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't heard of anyone having issues. You make sure all hoses and clamps are tight? Might try to reset the computer by unhooking the battery for a few minutes.

Seals and connections are good - I'll try the power reset. Thanks for the input. P

Yeah I've been told to unhook the positive post and let it sit for 30 min atleast and then go for a 100km+ drive so that the computer can get a good idea of the air intake and gas mixture. When I had my focus and put a cold air intake and 65mm TB my check engine light came on and stayed on until the guy at ford told me to do this and everything was good after that. Give it a try.

Mine stalled once after putting a CAI on it. After a short drive I pulled into my driveway and it died. That was months ago and the only time it has ever done it.

After doing any type of upgrade like CAI, exhaust, etc... You should always remove the battery and let it sit a while, reconnect and drive.

Make sure all your vac hoses and iac hoses are still connected. Unplug battery and you should be set after a short drive.

time will also help cuz although mine didnt stall or die, the gas mileage was crappy for a while but after about 3 tanks my computer settled in with the amount of air it was getting

Still no dice folks - do I need to have the chip recalibrated for the new air flow??? Seems the engine would self-adjust for the new equipment...

I installed a KKM intake, bolted right up and no problems, fired up and been running it for a few weeks now.

Seems I may have a dirty IAC valve that won't let the engine adjust for the new air flow??? Any good way to get to it as it is "conveniently" located under the Air Intake Manifold... seems to be a real pain to remove...

What intakes are you guys running? I have an 05 XLT 4.0 and can't find anything for it. I Might buy an 03 and try it to see if it works but I'd rather have the proper one.

Back