Colorado Colors Run 2013 - Planning and Discussion | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 2013 - Planning and Discussion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I've never seen a tire issue stop you before..:scratch:

...A 140 car pile up yes, but not a tire issue especially with BFG's..

I found a 75% bfg out here for $95 or ill let you borrow a set of 33's so you can make your trip. Best I could do is meet you in vegas on your way back from Reno...

Started getting ready for this trip today.

I put the fridge in the truck, and started it cooling. Went through the camping gear, packed some dry food, worked out a menu.

I ordered several maps yesterday - they will be here a few days.

I am pretty much ready to go! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Brian - BFG still makes KM2s in 32x11.50-15. Just sayin...

Given the discussion, it sounds like the thing to do is base out of Leadville (or close to it for camping) for the weekend.

This will allow people to camp or hotel and cook or restaurant, as they prefer. Also, we can have a group dinner in town one evening.

As for the daily routes, we can decide each morning where we want to go. I would like to go to Crystal Mill on Saturday - I think that's what we've been discussing anyway.

How does that sound to everyone?

That sounds fine to me, it has been a while since I wheeled in the Leadville area. Originally I wanted to head down to Ouray after Crystal Mill to meet up with reapereviltwin but it sounds like they may be coming up to Leadville after they hit a few trails in Ouray.

I wouldn't mind going to the Champion Mill, I have never been there and it looks cool.

Brian - BFG still makes KM2s in 32x11.50-15. Just sayin...

I know. I would already have 5 new tires by now but I have something in the works that I am supposed to hear back on this week. I will be staying on 32s. It will come down to the wire but I definitely want to make this trip!

Well..... I just found out that I have to go to FL next week. And I was in VA last week. Basically, my participation in the trip may be restricted or completely killed- gotta keep the peace at home. But I'll see what I can do.

So, this sucks.

Originally I wanted to head down to Ouray after Crystal Mill to meet up with reapereviltwin but it sounds like they may be coming up to Leadville after they hit a few trails in Ouray.

It's not looking too well for us to head to Leadville, we will proably be in Ouray the whole time, we were looking at all the trails Robert and I wanted to do and 2 days don't look like enough time, plus a few issues with the rigs.

Dag nabbit... just caught wind of this thread (since I've been absent on the board for almost 2 years... )

We head out around 1PM on Friday 8/30, heading to Ouray area. Will be meeting friends from Phoenix and will be camping and running the normal trails.

We'll be passing through BV/Salida area around 3-3:30, I'll wave if I see any lifted Sploders. I'll be in a sky blue/black TJ on 33's.

No way I'm going to make it this year. Been a bad (slow) summer at work. There's just no way I can afford the trip, yet alone get my Toyota back on the trail. Have fun everyone!

I am hitting the road tomorrow, so I will have limited forum access.

I plan to be at the Safeway in Leadville at 8:00 AM, ready to go at 9:00 AM.

Can everyone who is planning on being there let me know, so we don't leave anyone behind?

Thanks.

I will be heading up in to the area on Friday morning. I will be camping with my friend Pete and a group of his friends at Taylor Park Resevoir for the weekend. It is SW of Leadville 35-40 miles as the crow flies. probably a good 2 hour drive to meet up with you guys on Saturday morning.

What trails are you planning on running on Saturday. I need to know so I don't do some of these trails on the way in on friday.

I plan to meet with the group at the Safeway, but if I am late it would be good to know where you are headed so I can catch up with you on the trail.

So far it sounds like getting to Crystal Mill is the only goal currently set for the day. That looks to be accessed from the Ouray side of the range: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=259

My front end has generated an issue I can't track down, so I've got to sit this one out... Have fun, post lots of pictures.

..:shifty_ey ..Anybody have any spy pics of Brians new tires on this trip?

..Oh yea...Hi Laura..:wavey:

Finally have some internet here at the KOA in Ouray camped next to mike and Robert.

Saturday morning we went from Leadville to Crested Butte and Scott and I ran up Schofield Pass and down the Devils Punchbowl (rocky in a few spots but not bad going downhill) and into the Ghost Town of Crystal and the Crystal Mill. We met Ace from the Desert Expedition this year in the town of Crystal and then the 3 of us went up Lead King Basin and found a campsite next to a narrow slot canyon with waterfalls. The next morning we finished Lead King (awesome scenery!) and spent some time in the town of Marble looking at the old site of the Marble "factory", the quarry and a good BBQ lunch in town.

We gassed up at the next town and then we headed for Ouray, 150 miles away. Ace took off to find a new to him trail and campsite at the first summit and Scott and I continued on the nice drive through a part of Colorado I have not seen before.

Tomorrow I think we will run Corkscrew, California and Hurricane Gulches into Silverton and then I will head home.

All for now, pictures later.

My new round black tires have been working good :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Hey Brian...Your rotten...Simply rotten...:p:

Back