• Register Today It's free!

Comments about Amsoil

DDEBEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Duncanville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 4x4 Eddie Bauer
I just got done reading the tech tip about oil additives and how they are bad if they contain teflon and something else. I know that Amsoil #1 is expensive, but #2 it contains an additive called moly-something or other. Is it really worth the extra investment on this oil? I was talking to the 4x4 shop in El Paso where my dad is a jeep freak and he swore by it. But this moly-blah blah(don't remember the actual scientific name) really intrigues me. Any comments would be greatly appriciated. I have never used nor has my parents used any additives in this explorer, but i would like to keep it for awhile. Regular oil changes have been done, but this Amsoil is really interesting claiming that you can actually go something like 15000 miles before a change. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nothing really interesting about amsoil, its synthetic oil... most synthetic oils can easily go 15k miles.... the low end synthetic oils arent even recommended as needing to be changed before 5000 miles.....

amsoil is a high quality product, it is a synthetic motor oil....

DDEBEXP said:
I just got done reading the tech tip about oil additives and how they are bad if they contain teflon and something else. I know that Amsoil #1 is expensive, but #2 it contains an additive called moly-something or other. Is it really worth the extra investment on this oil? I was talking to the 4x4 shop in El Paso where my dad is a jeep freak and he swore by it. But this moly-blah blah(don't remember the actual scientific name) really intrigues me.

1. *ALL* motor oils contain "additives" to the base oil stock. Amsoil is no different in that respect.

Amsoil is one of a handful of companies considered to make the best oil available.

There have been "special" additives for decades. Slick50 was one of the first to make a big impact with advertising. Those supplements generally have the same "magic" supplements, including the one you referred to. What I remember is something like "Molylybdenum." I have used a couple, and I haven't ever driven without oil either.

They probably help, but just don't spend tons of money expecting magic. Be modest, and try one if you want to insure longer life for one of your vehicles. Good luck,
Don

jimabena74 said:
nothing really interesting about amsoil, its synthetic oil...

most synthetic oils can easily go 15k miles.... t

he low end synthetic oils arent even recommended as needing to be changed before 5000 miles.....

>nothing really interesting about amsoil<<; please explain that statement.

That is not factual.

What is a >>low end synthetic oil<<?

Al, have you heard of Synthoil?

The $4 per quart synthetics are what I'd call low end synthetic oils. The $8 per quart stuff like Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Redline, are the high end synthetic oils.

The Synthoil I have not heard about in many years, but it used to be about $12 per quart. Regards,
Don

Amsoil gets the base stock from ExxonMobil. Depending on the formula, Amsoil uses either Group III or Group IV base stocks. The additive package is from Lubrizol. Lubrizol supplies additive packages to many of the name brand oil companies. Most oils have moly as an additive. If you want massive amounts of moly, use Redline. Redline also has a lot of Group V in it. Groups I, II, and III come from mineral oil. These are a mixture of many different chemical compounds. Groups IV and V are synthesized from specific chemicals to make a molecule of exact dimensions and properties.

Amsoil is an excellent oil, but in my humble opinion, it isn't better than Mobil 1. After all, it uses the same base stocks. If you want a synthetic oil that is a cut above the rest, try Redline.

CDW6212R said:
Al, have you heard of Synthoil?

The $4 per quart synthetics are what I'd call low end synthetic oils. The $8 per quart stuff like Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Redline, are the high end synthetic oils.

The Synthoil I have not heard about in many years, but it used to be about $12 per quart. Regards,
Don

Don, Thanks for the info; I have never heard of that oil.

Thanks for the info. When i start my new job i'll be trying some of these. What oil filter do you all recommend with these oils? Thanks

Your filter choice will be about as important as the oil. Most normal filters can't filter for more than 3000-5000 miles. To get more life from the oil, you will have to change filters often, buy more expensive filters, or install a bypass type system.

Ask Al, or search for the threads about the bypass type filter systems. Those can filter oil much better, and for a lot longer period of time. Good luck,
Don

I'm not sure if anyone knows or is interested, but here in San Juan I went to the Amsoil distributor, where for an $11 fee I was made a preferred customer, and can buy at wholesale prices. That meant my case of oil cost $66 rather than the $100 retail.

Lot of good, unbiased oil filter info here. I like Purolator Pure One filters. A quality filter will go 10,000 miles without problems.

85Dave said:
Lot of good, unbiased oil filter info here. I like Purolator Pure One filters. A quality filter will go 10,000 miles without problems.

Dave:

Do you run your Purolator Pure One filters for 10.000 miles? I use the same filter but have never let it run more than 5,000. Just curious if I can leave it in a little long with Mobil One synthetic.

Lee

I don't run synthetics is any of my vehicles. I change oil and filter every 3000 miles in the X, mainly because of short trips. I go 5000 miles in my Taurus and Expedition.

Honda recommends 10,000 mile oil change intervals with convential oils, and change the filter every other oil change. That's 20,000 miles on a filter.

I would have no reservations using a filter for 10,000 miles. Many others have used the same filter for this long with no problems.

85Dave said:
Amsoil gets the base stock from ExxonMobil. Depending on the formula, Amsoil uses either Group III or Group IV base stocks. The additive package is from Lubrizol.

Good information.

Here is my opinion about oil.

There are slight differences in the makeup of different oil brands, and I agree that Amsoil is pretty good. But, its not like its some "revolutionary" product. Any way you look at it, its oil. Granted, it may last longer, but the higher cost is not worth it to most people. Some people like to go 10-15k without changing their oil, but I view that as somewhat of a risk. I like to change my oil every 3-5k just to see how things are doing in the engine.

Hartman said:
I like to change my oil every 3-5k just to see how things are doing in the engine.

Do you have a UOA performed on this oil? Please post the data.

85Dave said:
Amsoil gets the base stock from ExxonMobil. Depending on the formula, Amsoil uses either Group III or Group IV base stocks. The additive package is from Lubrizol. Lubrizol supplies additive packages to many of the name brand oil companies. Most oils have moly as an additive. If you want massive amounts of moly, use Redline. Redline also has a lot of Group V in it. Groups I, II, and III come from mineral oil. These are a mixture of many different chemical compounds. Groups IV and V are synthesized from specific chemicals to make a molecule of exact dimensions and properties.

Amsoil is an excellent oil, but in my humble opinion, it isn't better than Mobil 1. After all, it uses the same base stocks. If you want a synthetic oil that is a cut above the rest, try Redline.

Dave, can you please inform me where you found this information about Amsoil, Im interested and would like to know. Also, what makes Redline so much better, in your opinion? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm with Hartman, I just get an uneasy feeling letting it run over 5k. I still use Mobil1, but I still change at 5k. No, I don't do testing, nor do I care to do so.

Back