Compatible motors for ‘04 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Compatible motors for ‘04 Sport Trac

Badgrlfrnd

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Expl Sport Trac
Does anyone now if a 2004 Sport Trac automatic 4 WD 4.0 vin k can take a 2009 Ranger V6 2wd 4.0 s/n 9J1P9701 manufacture date 14 SEP 09 on the back rear it also has SOHC on it. I ask about this specific motor as I have a friend who has one and is willing to part with it for a very reasonable price

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford 7.3 godzilla
I’m sorry you may have to break that don for me - according to some of the other threads it looks like it will take Ranger, explorer, sport Trac and mountaineer years ‘01 to ‘10 and ’08 Mustang motors

I think any of the SOHCs will technically work, there is just varying level of stuff you need to transfer from old motor to new.

Disregard the 7.3 comment, it’s not a valid choice.

I’m writing my sincere thanks my cel is acting up. I’m not sure if I successfully posted my thanks for the info. 🎄⛄🛷

Well for the godzilla it wouldn't work without a couple mods but I tell u what omg how cool that would be.... Anyhow what is your cel telling you..ford makes motors that come back from the dead.

NOT INVALID THATS MY NEXT ENGINE IN ANYTHING ILL BUY THAT GODZILLA AND THROW IT INTO A CRX!

Breaking it down on the 7.3.... Well first u might want to trash the old harness get the computer, harness and a good ford superduty transmission u probably can't close the hood so take it off... U will need new motor mounts transmission mounts ECT tcm all that then it will be the best rwd sportrac on earth it would probably do a 10 second quarter mile.

Breaking it down on the 7.3.... Well first u might want to trash the old harness get the computer, harness and a good ford superduty transmission u probably can't close the hood so take it off... U will need new motor mounts transmission mounts ECT tcm all that then it will be the best rwd sportrac on earth it would probably do a 10 second quarter mile.
In short not a good idea 💡 well I hate saying goodbye to my batmobile with Heath Ledger (the joker) mural on my rear window- I’ve driven across Canada Vancouver to Toronto and back more than once. It has seen me through some hard times but i’ll have to get another ST or an LR 3. In the new year. Thanks everyone for your help.

What is it knocking like a woodpecker and smoking like a train?

WHAT / HOW MANY CODES...IDC I WONT QUIT THIS EXPLORER.

WHAT / HOW MANY CODES...IDC I WONT QUIT THIS EXPLORER.
Off to go see my baby and talk turkey about its future - It needs a new motor because apparently I blew a hole in the other one and yes Heath Ledger played the joker in The Dark Knight in 2008. My truck is a Bat wonder. It won’t let me attach a photo but its awesome.

U blew a freeze plug that's like 2$ ain't nothing a little jb weld can't fix.

In short not a good idea 💡 well I hate saying goodbye to my batmobile with Heath Ledger (the joker) mural on my rear window- I’ve driven across Canada Vancouver to Toronto and back more than once. It has seen me through some hard times but i’ll have to get another ST or an LR 3. In the new year. Thanks everyone for your help.
I too, have a 2004 Sport Trac that has some sentimental value to it. But eventually, I going to let it go. It has only over 111,000 miles on it. I acquired it through a marriage. Vary few men probably ever get a spouse, that comes with a pickup truck that was bought brand new. This year, the sport trac had a bunch of issues, it is like it got the Coronavirus, but they were minor ones.

Did uthrow a rod?
I don’t know what I did but there is a hole in it and it ain’t no jb weld gonna help that - thought I had another sport Trac to buy but it has a cracked block and a blown head gasket. I may just have to face the fact that my truck is dead. I will not be able to fix it right now - perhaps not ever. It could not have happened at a worse time. I am heart broken but life moves on and making way for new things coming into your life is healthy but inconvenient.

Back