• Register Today It's free!

Composite springs?

Dan R

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger 3L RWD
I am thinking of replacing my steel leaf springs with composite ones. If I can get them cheap. They may give a better ride and handling.
Are they a drop in replacement?
Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you lifting, or just trying to improve the ride? And are you talking about the Ranger in your profile, or you have an Ex too?

Much the same height is OK. It is a Ranger. Would I have to modify the brackets?

I know nothing about composite springs.
But IMO, the less than great ride and handling in a Ranger, or any pickup, comes from driving around with an empty bed. The springs have no weight on them to help them flex, and the tires have no weight to keep them pressed onto the pavement.
I suggest you try keeping a few filled sandbags in the back. I notice a difference with that, and always have some back there. I keep them close to the tailgate, between the wheel well and the tailgate, against the sidewall.
Also, how's your rear shocks? Old and worn?

I have used sandbags in icy weather and it does improve the ride.
I will be fitting Bilstein 4600 shocks to replace Monroe Sensa-Tracs (5 years old).
I also plan to replace spring and sway bushings with poly.

Just found out that composites lower the back end as they go under the axle, not above. I think I will stick with the steel springs.

Just found out that composites lower the back end as they go under the axle, not above. I think I will stick with the steel springs.

Stock springs go under the axle too.

EDIT: I was wrong - did not realize we were talking about Rangers...

Yup, you are right. Why did Ford fit these springs?
In Explorers and Rangers.

Really!?! Your Ranger is spring under?? I thought all Rangers were spring over axle like mine, maybe 2wd's are not.

I'm pretty sure they are spring over axle. My 1994 is, and so is every one I've ever noticed. My question is why do people buy pickups and then try to soften the ride? I'm just being honest, rangers come with relatively weak springs the way it is. If you want a softer ride, you will need to get a vehicle with an independent suspension. TTB doesn't ride any softer than a solid axle.

I thought all Rangers were spring-over from the factory.

But anyways...please do tell where you found a composite leaf pack. That sounds interesting.

Back