• Register Today It's free!

Compressor Clutch?

synyster

Reaction score
City, State
Hammond IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited V8
I was driving in my 02 cavalier today and i had the heat on and I kept hearing something engage and then disengage....when I would turn the heat off the sound went away and I noticed that everytime I turn the heat on the A/C light would be illuminated. I tried turning it off but when I pressed the button...nothing!! So do you think that something could be messed up with clutch? or could the a/c system have a problem?

Its probably not the clutch - sounds more like the switch/wiring is messed up since the AC is being engaged when you turn it to heat (all of which is typically controlled at the switch). But for now, if you are getting heat and just dont want the compressor to turn on, you can disconnect the compressor (should be a connector at the compressor)

Here is a quote from my old '03 Cavalier manual "Defrost mode; This mode removes fog or frost from the windshield more quickly..... in this mode, the system runs the air conditioning compressor."

The reason it runs it is to dehumidify the air so it doesn't fog up the inside of the window.

Back