• Register Today It's free!

Computer Codes

FordSploderXLT

Reaction score
City, State
West Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT and 97 XLT V8
When I was checking the codes on my computer, I came up with a few codes that I don't quite understand.....Any help would be appreciated.

53 - Throttle Position Sensor Above Max. Voltage
63 - Throttle Position Sensor circuit fault, below min. voltage......The reason I ask about those is, I recently put a TP sensor on, and was wondering what this was all about.

85 - Canister Purge Circuit failure

66 - TOT sensor input below self test min. or vane air flow circuit below min.

Thanks guys.........

Did you clear the codes after you put the TPS on and it was working correctly? If not, then it will take a while for the codes to get cleared from memory.

Yes, I did clear the codes when I put the new TP sensor on.....

Kind of a hunch, but....you might check your voltage for VREF to see if it is normal (5 volts, I believe). The reason I'm thinking that it could be off is because you have multiple codes for sensors which dont seem to be related (TPS and Canister purge). This might be caused by a wiring problem affecting VREF or ground.

I don't quite understand the code 66 -- I don't recognize what TOT is, and you dont have a vane air flow meter on an Explorer (they all have MAF systems)

Edit -- I looked up code 66 in my book. TOT sensor is for Trans Oil Temp for the E4OD trans (which isn't in an Explorer either). My book gives the same description, but has an alternate description:

MAF or VAF circuit below minimum voltage

The TPS uses VREF which should be 5 +/- 0.1 Volts

The Canister Purge and MAF use VPWR which should be 10.5 Volts or higher

Back