Condensation in headlights? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Condensation in headlights?

From page 80 of your Owner's Manual;

Condensation in Lamp Assemblies
Exterior lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.

Examples of acceptable condensation are:
• The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).
• A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.

Examples of unacceptable condensation are:
• A water puddle inside the lamp.
• Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.

Lots of info in the manual.:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brand new 2016 headlight issues

Just brought home my new 2016 sport and I noticed when i got home my headlights had condensation build up in them near the lower areas (inside the lens) as the dealership washed it prior to pick up. Has anyone else had this problem? I am noticing them in both headlights. I think the seals must be bad, guess its time to go back to the dealership.

Unless it has physical water puddling within the housing that is considered normal.

I would take it back to the dealer and have them replace the headlight housings. They are supposed to be sealed units (for the most part) and should not have condensation building up in them at all. It is odd however that both of them have condensation. I saw a brand new corvette at the gas station awhile back and the guy was fueling his vehicle...I walked up to him and said hey nice car but both of your rear tail light housings have bad seals...look at all the condensation buildup in them, you better take that S$%# back to the dealer and have them fix it. LOL

I would take it back to the dealer and have them replace the headlight housings. They are supposed to be sealed units (for the most part) and should not have condensation building up in them at all. It is odd however that both of them have condensation. I saw a brand new corvette at the gas station awhile back and the guy was fueling his vehicle...I walked up to him and said hey nice car but both of your rear tail light housings have bad seals...look at all the condensation buildup in them, you better take that S$%# back to the dealer and have them fix it. LOL

Headlights are not sealed, they are vented. Manual states condensation is normal but puddles or droplets are not. It goes more indepth, so if interested, grab your manual.

Thanks I'll take a look at the manual I am disappointed that there is condensation in these as it comes and goes but never had a vehicle that had condensation that was normal

Headlights are not sealed, they are vented. Manual states condensation is normal but puddles or droplets are not. It goes more indepth, so if interested, grab your manual.

Hmm ok this will be the first vehicle I have owned that would have condensation in the lens area then.

Just brought home my new 2016 sport and I noticed when i got home my headlights had condensation build up in them near the lower areas (inside the lens) as the dealership washed it prior to pick up. Has anyone else had this problem? I am noticing them in both headlights. I think the seals must be bad, guess its time to go back to the dealership.
I have merged your thread with this existing one which I found using the Forum's 'Search' function. See post 7 about what the manual says about condensation.

Peter

Mine was the same after the dealer washed it. Ran it through the car wash without issue though. They've been "dry" ever since and it does appear that it dries up quickly which tells me they may well be vented

Hmm ok this will be the first vehicle I have owned that would have condensation in the lens area then.

I agree in every past vehicle it has indicated a problem but they take longer than a few hours or a day to "dry", which tells me that the issue is actually of being poorly sealed. I am thinking newer headlights are "vented" now based on this and my experience re-sealing headlights for custom led and paint work in dozens of my cars and others over the years. This is different it seems so it may be normal.

The condensation maybe be normal but, maybe the placement of the vents are not ideal. I understand the need to compensate for atmospheric pressure but, Ford should realize that people are going to say something about this as being a problem regardless of their explanation. They may need to change the vent location. Just a thought. :salute:

The condensation maybe be normal but, maybe the placement of the vents are not ideal. I understand the need to compensate for atmospheric pressure but, Ford should realize that people are going to say something about this as being a problem regardless of their explanation. They may need to change the vent location. Just a thought. :salute:

It may be that they're less worried about people complaining and more worried about the performance and durability of the headlamp assembly and the electronics and bulbs associated. I could be totally off base, but who knows :shrug:

I agree in every past vehicle it has indicated a problem but they take longer than a few hours or a day to "dry", which tells me that the issue is actually of being poorly sealed. I am thinking newer headlights are "vented" now based on this and my experience re-sealing headlights for custom led and paint work in dozens of my cars and others over the years. This is different it seems so it may be normal.

Yep I agree on the venting...but to have condensation constantly build up in the housing is bad. Imagine that condensation on the bulbs constantly and them coming on and burning off. The other thing that gets in an improperly sealed headlight assembly is dust.

Yep I agree on the venting...but to have condensation constantly build up in the housing is bad. Imagine that condensation on the bulbs constantly and them coming on and burning off. The other thing that gets in an improperly sealed headlight assembly is dust.

Since the dealer washed my car when I bought it a bit over two years ago, mine have not fogged and it has been rainy as all heck. :shrug:

So just to confirm, everybody is on board and comfortable that this is normal? I thought headlights were sealed units. Our brand new 17 Explorer looked like this from the dealer in 1 headlight. It went away the next day. When asked about it they quoted the same manual page.

So no concerns?

Same issue here kinda bugs me too but I'm told some fogging on the inside of the lens is normal and they are vented to allow for dissipation. But if it starts to have drops running down the inside its time for a replacement.

Why would it do that? I mean the plastic may yellow due to UV but why would this affect that?

Just wondering how lenses sometimes become yellow on the inside. For example, old cars usually have this issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering how lenses sometimes become yellow on the inside. For example, old cars usually have this issue.
It's as I said, the UV light in sunlight breaks down there plastics.

Back