Condensation in headlights? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Condensation in headlights?

I just purchased a ‘17 Sport and had it out for a drive this evening (cold weather outside). After pulling inside the garage I notice some foggy condensation in both headlights. It was on the inside of the light lenses (pics attached). About 20-30 minutes after turning the vehicle off it disappeared completely from both lights. Is this normal or anything to be concerned about?

59293EBB-D674-4994-8FAD-C4A76ED79684.jpeg

FD7A4D28-8925-449E-81BD-65999BA58D8E.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford will tell you that they're a vented design; any visible drops OR condensation coverage over more than half the lens would be a warrantable failure.

You might be able to pull off a warranty claim but I'd probably let it go. Especially given how they're condensing rather 'evenly.'

I just purchased a ‘17 Sport and had it out for a drive this evening (cold weather outside). After pulling inside the garage I notice some foggy condensation in both headlights. It was on the inside of the light lenses (pics attached). About 20-30 minutes after turning the vehicle off it disappeared completely from both lights. Is this normal or anything to be concerned about?
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.
Here is what part of what your Owner's Manual says about the issue on page 78.
Condensation in the Exterior Front
Lamps and Rear Lamps

Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have
vents to accommodate normal changes
in air pressure.

Peter

View attachment 152865

View attachment 152866

My 17 Sport headlights do exactly what your photos show.

Condensation of headlights is perfectly normal. It's only a problem if you see a big pool of water in them.

Water ingress doesn't mean dirt ingress. Most headlights have a vent with a sponge material in the vent tube to prevent dust. Also some manufacturers use Gortex type patches that act like vents.

Every headlight is pressure tested for leaks at suppliers. Vents are covered when they do this.

Back