Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front

If it is coming in from the front, check for any cracks in the manifold, as others have mentioned. Good luck Ryan.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is coming in from the front, check for any cracks in the manifold, as others have mentioned. Good luck Ryan.

Peter
It seems like the exhaust smell is coming from the rear a/c because when I turn off the rear a/c the smell significantly decreases.
But I will start spraying soapy mixture from tail pipe to the manifold if I can reach the manifold from the engine bay.
Thanks Peter

Keep in mind that the majority of Explorers likely don't have this issue. Neither of mine did.

Peter
I just got my Explorer from Ford dealer after 2 weeks for exhaust fume issue, they said they tested and they said they could not duplicate the issue and tested the Fuel trims and it came out OK, the Ford hotline helped out and said the catalytic converter was designed to have rotten egg and sulfur smell. They said the Fuel trim, Catalytic converter were within FORD specs and they can't replace the Catalytic converter because accede to them it was normal. I've had enough, Im going to start looking for a replacement starting this week. Maybe a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander to save my family from getting exposed from cancer causing exhaust fumes.
Don't know what to do and what to say when they said it s normal to smell sulfur and rotten egg with ford explorer catalytic converter.

Peter
I'll try to check the manifold this weekend and check for leaks. If there is no leak Bye bye ford explorer, before my family gets sick....

I just got my Explorer from Ford dealer after 2 weeks for exhaust fume issue, they said they tested and they said they could not duplicate the issue and tested the Fuel trims and it came out OK, the Ford hotline helped out and said the catalytic converter was designed to have rotten egg and sulfur smell. They said the Fuel trim, Catalytic converter were within FORD specs and they can't replace the Catalytic converter because accede to them it was normal. I've had enough, Im going to start looking for a replacement starting this week. Maybe a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander to save my family from getting exposed from cancer causing exhaust fumes.
Don't know what to do and what to say when they said it s normal to smell sulfur and rotten egg with ford explorer catalytic converter.
The catalytic converters is not DESIGNED to emit a sulfur smell, it’s how the technology functions. It also means too much raw fuel is getting into it.

The catalytic converters is not DESIGNED to emit a sulfur smell, it’s how the technology functions. It also means too much raw fuel is getting into it.

What so you mean? Do i need to replace the Catalytic converter or tune the engine fuel management? Any suggestions? I just checked rhe trade in value and I will get hit hard if i trade it.

It’s dumping too much unburnt fuel, OR the catalytic converters is damaged and can’t burn it off. It shouldn’t have enough unburned fuel to really stink, under normal circumstances. I’d find a new dealer.

What so you mean? Do i need to replace the Catalytic converter or tune the engine fuel management? Any suggestions? I just checked rhe trade in value and I will get hit hard if i trade it.
Quite ofter the "rotten egg" or "sulphur" smell will sometimes occur after a hard acceleration and should only last a very short time. That type of odour will not be entering from the front since it exits via the exhaust pipe. I've noticed it occasionally come in through the vent when following a vehicle.

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. ... Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator.

Peter

It’s dumping too much unburnt fuel, OR the catalytic converters is damaged and can’t burn it off. It shouldn’t have enough unburned fuel to really stink, under normal circumstances. I’d find a new dealer.
Thanks I am working on reporting the dealer for refusing to replace the Catalytic converter. Warranty should cover 8 yrs or 80,000 miles. They kept it since may 8 to may 21, 2020. All they had to say is it is within normal sulfur and rotten smell ford level . Ford designed it that way. Fuel trim was good. They said they could not duplicate the Issue.

Quite ofter the "rotten egg" or "sulphur" smell will sometimes occur after a hard acceleration and should only last a very short time. That type of odour will not be entering from the front since it exits via the exhaust pipe. I've noticed it occasionally come in through the vent when following a vehicle.

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. ... Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator.

Peter
Thank you for clarifying. I get it now.

I have had the exhaust smell since buying my 2018 EX in Nov.2018, I've also been to the dealer many times. They have test driven it with me and confirm the exhaust smell while accelerating and they(Dealer) just tell me its a known issue with no fix. I try not to accelerate to hard. I thought I had a fix when i discovered overfilled oil,but that wasnt the fix. I cant find an exhaust leak but it must be there.

I tried to no avail several times.
They are tough.... They even kept my suv for 2 weeks and ended up the same results. As if they tried for 2 weeks. If they replaced the catalytic converter most likely the sulfur odor will go away. They dont want to pull the trigger( 8 yrs or 80,000 miles warranty) You are not alone with this issue and i have been going back to the dealership multiple times too... They know what they are doing. We end up selling out suv or get sick from the exhaust fume. They need thousands of complaint before they issue a fix or recall. I might end up paying for the labor and parts if the dealer still refuse to replace my catalytic converter. Then I will ask an expert to analyze the replaced catalytic converter and try to submit it to Ford for reimbursement. Health is more important to me.

We need to do something about this together if you like? Write a letter describing the same issues. What a coincidence....
I have an Aviator as shown in my profile and no issue. All US gasoline must have an average sulphur content of 10ppm. Have you tried changing gasoline brands? Some gas may have a slightly lower sulphur content than others.

Peter

I have an Aviator as shown in my profile and no issue. All US gasoline must have an average sulphur content of 10ppm. Have you tried changing gasoline brands? Some gas may have a slightly lower sulphur content than others.

Peter
I have tried all the other gasoline stations but it did not matter. I just hate the fact that when i drive it and my wife it acts up. When the dealer try to duplicate the issue they said it was not there.I am guessing my 2018 is using the same defective parts that they used for the 2012-2017 models.
In this forum alone 2 Exact 2018 models have the same sulfur issues. I just wish ford can just use the warranty to possibly correct the sulfur issue.
$546 worth of parts catalytic
$700 labor 4hrs worth This is how much it will cost me if they just ignore the sulfur issue. I called the same dealer in long beach Caruso. I guess the warranty is just there for the manual to read.

I have tried all the other gasoline stations but it did not matter. I just hate the fact that when i drive it and my wife it acts up. When the dealer try to duplicate the issue they said it was not there.I am guessing my 2018 is using the same defective parts that they used for the 2012-2017 models.
In this forum alone 2 Exact 2018 models have the same sulfur issues. I just wish ford can just use the warranty to possibly correct the sulfur issue.
$546 worth of parts catalytic
$700 labor 4hrs worth This is how much it will cost me if they just ignore the sulfur issue. I called the same dealer in long beach Caruso. I guess the warranty is just there for the manual to read.
That labor price seems extreme. A reputable independent exhaust shop would be much more affordable.

I’d be a shame if someone happened to crawl under your car when you were sleeping, removed an o2 sensor and ruined the catalyst waffle with a screwdriver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That labor price seems extreme. A reputable independent exhaust shop would be much more affordable.

I’d be a shame if someone happened to crawl under your car when you were sleeping, removed an o2 sensor and ruined the catalyst waffle with a screwdriver.
You mean people would do that just to ruin the waffle from the catalytic? Explorer’s catalytic are near the engine bay and it would not be easy to ruin it.

Back