• Register Today It's free!

Confused about the Brown Wire Mod

lsky17

Reaction score
City, State
hudson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport Premium
Ok so I performed the brown wire mod... pulled out the seat, instanned the switch, reassembled everything.... when I tested the switch it does not appear to be working. When I drop into the 4-low position the transfer case still sounds like it is engaging the front wheels....regardless of the position that the switch is in. :fire: Somebody please help.....

See If This Might Help

READ THIS AND SEE IF YOU CAN UNDRSTAND THE 4WD SYSTEMS ON THESE.
IF YOU WANT PICTURES EMAIL ME AT
ICEHOCKEYGOALY32@AOL.COM AND I WILL EMAIL YOU THE PICTURES.
THIS IS ON MY 2OOO EXPLORER SPORT

The 4wd system on these explorers without the mod of the switch allows what is known as traction control. If your 4wd switch goes like this (AUTO-4WD HI- 4WD LO) then you have the same thing as mine (I have 2000 explorer sport). Even if your switch is on the dash is on AUTO, it still allows the 4wd to work. Heres what it does. If you are in snow, stones or a slippery wet road and are sitting still or moving very slow. If u hit the throttle, the rear wheels "should spin" only for a second, the vehicle's computer will sense this and engage the electric clutch in the transfer case which in turn will engage the front wheels so ur truck does not sit there and roast ur tires Even if you have the switch on AUTO. When you do the brown wire mod This cuts power to the electric transfer clutch which in turn will not turn the front wheels even on 4 wd hi and lo or auto, Ur truck should now be 2wd even if u turn it to 4wd hi, lo or auto. Now Heres what might be messing you up. If you put your truck in 4wd lo and I think you havfta put it in park or neutral. you should here a click or clunk noise. this is not engaging the front wheels, this is engaging the low gears in the trans. So your truck should be in 2 wd lo and thats it unless you flip ur modified switch u installed to the "on" position.

P.s: iF YOU WANNA TEST THIS OUT DO WHAT I DID. BACK YOUR TRUCK UP TO SOME GRASS, DIRT, STONES, etc. AND JUST PUT THE REAR WHEELS ON THE GRASS,STONES OR WHATEVER AND LEAVE UR FRONT WHEELS ON THE PAVEMENT, TURN YOUR MOD SWITCH TO OFF AND UR 4WD SWITCH TO 4WD HI. PUT IT IN DRIVE AND HIT THE GAS TO GET THE REAR WHEELS TO SPIN FOR MORE THAT A SECOND. IF YOU TRUCK PULLS OUT NO PROBLEM THEN FLIP UR MOD SWITCH AGAIN, LEAVE THE 4WD SWITCH ALONE AND TRY IT AGAIN. THE REAR WHEELS SHOULD SPIN. IF THEY DO THAN YOU GOT IT.

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS OR DONT UNDERSTAND THIS THEN EMAIL ME AT THE ADDRESS AT THE TOP AND ILL TRY TO HELP YOU WITH PICTURES.

2000ExpSport,

Welcome to the site.

Please don't post in CAPS. It's against Forum rules. The Forum moderator may choose to delete future posts because of this.

Thanks.

Thanx for the heads up on the caps

Hey thanxs for the heads up on the capital letters. sorry bout that

Back