Considering an Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering an Explorer Sport

Yo Adrian

Reaction score
City, State
NY
HI all,

I am new to this forum. Currently driving an Infiniti FX35. Fun to drive, but a little harsh ride, and small trunk is starting to bother me. My wife and I also own an Lexus RX350.

Have been debating changing rides, and the Sport is on my list. Would hate to lose all fun to drive factor. I previously found the 2011 Explorer nice, but very mellow. I ultimately picked up the FX as it was a blast to drive, and got a good deal. However the SUV has a very firm suspension and a times can be tiring.

Has anyone made this transition? How are you liking it? I often joke to my wife if you could blend the best of the Lexus with the Infiniti you'd have a phenomenal ride . . .

would love opinions of users making similar transitions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went from a 2004 Pontiac GTO as a daily driver to my Sport.

That should answer your question.

Now go drive one...and really, DRIVE it.

Wot

I went from a BMW 335i tuned to a Sport! Love the ride, I feel like i graduated in life lol

It's pimp.

From Jeep SRT8 to a Sport, doesn't have the punch but the sport has the agility and finesse...think of it as a 10 round fight...the jeep can't go past 3 rounds so it has to do it in 3. the sport can go all 10 rounds and your not tired at the end of them.

I'm coming from a 2007 H3. Quite the step-up in Luxury and Performance.

The ride is very smooth, but I've been told it's stiffer than a Limited or XLT model. The Sport is the only Explorer Model I have driven.

I have a couple of minor complaints thus far: 1- Torque Steer. If you get on it at a low speed, you'll feel the pull. Be prepared. 2- The Sync system is a bit finicky (sp?) sometimes when you have an iPOD plugged in Via USB.

The V6 isn't throaty despite the dual exhaust, but the power is PLENTY adequate. I already mentioned the ride is smooth, but it's also very QUIET.

All in all, I'm happy so far. Hopefully it works out for you.

Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback, and will test drive this weekend.

I like the analogy of going 10 rounds. this would be a daily driver, so that is very important. Not really needing loud engine, its the combination of every day comfort with performance when I want it, and a cool looking ride too.

Went from a tuned Passat to an Explorer Sport. Test drove a Limited and a Sport, and hands down had to go with the Sport. The power makes for a much smoother, effortless ride. Suspension is not harsh at all to me, nor is it airy. Almost seems german-ish made sitting in the cabin.

I have a Mercedes Ml 350 and I never drive it... I always choose the Sport..

Might as well throw my hat into the ring, I thought I was going to keep my G35 around as it was more fun to drive, has better power to weight ratio, etc etc. Since owning this vehicle for the past month and a half, I have driven my car twice. No need for a second "sport/luxury" car anymore as this has very similar characteristics but honestly is just as much fun to drive. As far as torque steer is concerned, this is true, however only when driving in normal mode, if you switch the terrain management system to "sand mode" if you know you're going to get on it, the torque steer is next to none. I would suggest if taking one for a test drive, try both ways and you will understand. As far as comfort and luxury compared to the LTD, I had the opportunity to drive both before purchasing mine. I can honestly say I felt the N/A 3.5 to be underpowered for this size of vehicle. The additional luxury items are nice, but I am more a performance/luxury man myself and felt that I could give up a few items to acquire what I consider a more than adequate power plant. The exhaust/engine noise is very minimal in this, I have since purchased a Magnaflow catback system for mine just to wake up the sound a little, personal preference, I like to hear my vehicle. Other than that I don't have a single complaint on the vehicle aside from what came on it for factory tires. I find them less than adequate in snow and ice, where I live this is a big issue, which I will be addressing within short order. Hopefully this helps sway you into the Sport family, you won't be disappointed.

Wow. These are some serious endorsements:

BMW 335i
H3
SRT8
ML 350
G35

Intersting how many people are "down grading" from a luxury brand to the EX Sport.

I also have a 12 Mustang GT convertible (manual). This satisfies the must fundamental urges to go really fast, and has an awesome sounding engine. I enjoy driving that car over the RX and the FX, but daily driving in traffic is not preferred. Not a great winter vehicle too :). It's this reason that I started relooking at the Explorer, and found out they added the Sport version in 13.

Will definitely try one this weekend!!!

Wow. These are some serious endorsements:

BMW 335i
H3
SRT8
ML 350
G35

Intersting how many people are "down grading" from a luxury brand to the EX Sport.

I also have a 12 Mustang GT convertible (manual). This satisfies the must fundamental urges to go really fast, and has an awesome sounding engine. I enjoy driving that car over the RX and the FX, but daily driving in traffic is not preferred. Not a great winter vehicle too :). It's this reason that I started relooking at the Explorer, and found out they added the Sport version in 13.

Will definitely try one this weekend!!!

I dont think of it as a down grade, the 335i was a great coupe and could really haul ass but this can as well just in a different box and 7 seats. It looks just as mean and I cant wait for a good tune. I'm having alot of fun in this truck. I think Ford found a nice little niche market with the Sport. I'd prefer they change the name to Explorer SHO. This is very similar to what they did what the F150 Raptor. They made a beast of a base truck and decked it out the way most would like and people pay top dollar for it. WIN!

Other than that I don't have a single complaint on the vehicle aside from what came on it for factory tires. I find them less than adequate in snow and ice, where I live this is a big issue, which I will be addressing within short order. .

Did you get yours with the Hancook tires also? That was my only gripe about the car.

Yes sir, Hancook Optimo, they're essentially useless on any sort of ice or fresh snow I find. Wouldn't recommend them to anyone and now understand why they have such a poor rating on any credible tire distribution sites.

I'm in New Brunswick Canada. To be honest the Hankooks aren't that bad of a tire. I am using them now and we just got blasted with a snow storm. Last year it was 18 degrees Celsius on this day....... Anyway, I find them to handle nice in the snow. I also have dedicated snow tires which I will put on next year. For now they more than suffice.

I'm in New Brunswick Canada. To be honest the Hankooks aren't that bad of a tire. I am using them now and we just got blasted with a snow storm. Last year it was 18 degrees Celsius on this day....... Anyway, I find them to handle nice in the snow. I also have dedicated snow tires which I will put on next year. For now they more than suffice.

Yeah, this global warming isn't working so well, is it...

Lol I'm willing to trade east coast weather for ours, current temperature with wind is -30° wind speed at 71km/h, another six inches of snow projected before end of day tomorrow. Needless to say, the tires are sub par for our weather.

Man, i'm glad I live in California

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back