Considering an Explorer Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering an Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also came from a tuned BMW 335 and really like my Sport a lot. I drive it in sand mode most of the time to eliminate the torque steer though.

Also, if I knew all the details on the 2014 GC SRT... I'm not sure I would've made the same decision... I've never driven an SRT8 though.

I traded in my Genesis R-Spec 5.0 GDI with 380 ft lb of torque and 429hp (0-60 in 4.9s) for my 2012 Ford Explorer Limited and then traded it for my 2013 Ford Explorer Sport. I know the Sport is not my Genesis 5.0 but I have to honestly tell you that as far as an SUV is concern is the closest to my Genesis and I am extremely happy with it. It is fast with a great performance!!!!

I also came from a tuned BMW 335 and really like my Sport a lot. I drive it in sand mode most of the time to eliminate the torque steer though.

Also, if I knew all the details on the 2014 GC SRT... I'm not sure I would've made the same decision... I've never driven an SRT8 though.
According to the Owner's Guide, driving it in sand mode most of the time is not a good thing to do.
From my guide; Note: The Mud/Ruts and Sand modes are for off-road use only.

Peter

I had an 09 SRT8 Jeep and hated it, so uncomfortable to drive.. Stiff steering and rough ride. Although my brother has a 13 SRT8 and I stinkin love that thing!! Very smooth.. But when you're not married I guess you can afford those things, an optioned out 14 SRT is $70k+; at this price point I'd be looking at a Audi Q7 S Line Prestige because I need the 3rd row.

I do also dislike the torque, I wish it had some sort of torque vectoring system and even a sport mode. I mean that dial with sand mode and such is pointless if there isn't a sport mode! Even the Jeep GC (non SRT) has sport mode... Overall I am loving it.

According to the Owner's Guide, driving it in sand mode most of the time is not a good thing to do.
From my guide; Note: The Mud/Ruts and Sand modes are for off-road use only.

Peter

I won't have the vehicle out of warranty, and as far as I know, it doesn't say that it'll void the warranty if you use it....

Finally found a dealer 2 weeks ago who had one in stock to test drive. I live in Rockland NY (just north of NJ). Commuting suburbs of NYC. These things are flying out the door.

Loved the ride. As engaging a ride as the FX35 with a softer suspension. Beautiful interior. Much more fun than the Limited EX. Dealership in my area finally got one in stock yesterday. Did another test drive. Ended up buying a Black one, with option package, etc. Pick it up tomorrow night !!!!

Did another test drive. Ended up buying a Black one, with option package, etc. Pick it up tomorrow night !!!!

You will love it, you made a smart decision. :thumbsup:
I picked mine up late Friday. The weather was not cooperating hale and freezing rain, the EX drove thought it like it was dry pavement.

Brian

I won't have the vehicle out of warranty, and as far as I know, it doesn't say that it'll void the warranty if you use it....

And there's the gamble of buying a lease trade in, prior rental, etc. I wish the next owner of your car the best of luck!:D

Finally found a dealer 2 weeks ago who had one in stock to test drive. I live in Rockland NY (just north of NJ). Commuting suburbs of NYC. These things are flying out the door.

Loved the ride. As engaging a ride as the FX35 with a softer suspension. Beautiful interior. Much more fun than the Limited EX. Dealership in my area finally got one in stock yesterday. Did another test drive. Ended up buying a Black one, with option package, etc. Pick it up tomorrow night !!!!

How did you find the steering wheel and more specifically the angle of the steering wheel? I have been wavering on my decision to buy the Sport since I ordered it back in January (it's supposed to finally arrive buy the end of April). I have been test driving 2013 and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokees while I have been waiting for the Explorer to arrive and found that the steering wheels in the Jeeps felt much better in my hands and the drive more engaging even though the Jeep lacked the power of the Explorer Sport. At first I thought it was the thickness or the material of the steering wheel that was making the difference but yesterday I took a much closer look at the Jeep and then when straight to the Ford dealership to look at a Limited Explorer they had in stock and realized that the Explorer steering wheel is angled 10 to 20 degrees more towards the ceiling in the Explorer than the other vehicles I have been driving. Playing with the tilt didn't seen to improve the angle. I have only come across one article that comments on the strange angle of the Explorer steering wheel so I'm very curious how Explorer owners find their steering wheels to be.
Thanks.

How did you find the steering wheel and more specifically the angle of the steering wheel? I have been wavering on my decision to buy the Sport since I ordered it back in January (it's supposed to finally arrive buy the end of April). I have been test driving 2013 and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokees while I have been waiting for the Explorer to arrive and found that the steering wheels in the Jeeps felt much better in my hands and the drive more engaging even though the Jeep lacked the power of the Explorer Sport. At first I thought it was the thickness or the material of the steering wheel that was making the difference but yesterday I took a much closer look at the Jeep and then when straight to the Ford dealership to look at a Limited Explorer they had in stock and realized that the Explorer steering wheel is angled 10 to 20 degrees more towards the ceiling in the Explorer than the other vehicles I have been driving. Playing with the tilt didn't seen to improve the angle. I have only come across one article that comments on the strange angle of the Explorer steering wheel so I'm very curious how Explorer owners find their steering wheels to be.
Thanks.

My wife and I use to have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. I would say only consider the '14... I hate the angle of the steering wheel in our Explorer, it's super weird and every time I get back in my VW CC I'm so thankful that the wheel isn't angled all stupid. The only thing I can come up for why it's so angled is for better face to air bag action when you get in a wreck. I still hate it though

Curious - the powered steering wheel on ours has more than enough movement up, down, back, forward and the the seat can do all that, and the pedals go fore and aft -
can't imagine not being able to find a comfortable spot for you :) :)

just mash the sports throttle and the steering wheel angle will be the last thing on your mind... :)

now that we have 1000 miles on the wife's I got a chance to mat it with a clear conscience while running along about 45 and it surpassed my tuned butt-o-meter !

solid midrange torque and very little drama ! just WOOSH !

Curious - the powered steering wheel on ours has more than enough movement up, down, back, forward and the the seat can do all that, and the pedals go fore and aft -
can't imagine not being able to find a comfortable spot for you :) :)

just mash the sports throttle and the steering wheel angle will be the last thing on your mind... :)

now that we have 1000 miles on the wife's I got a chance to mat it with a clear conscience while running along about 45 and it surpassed my tuned butt-o-meter !

solid midrange torque and very little drama ! just WOOSH !

Lol it is quick. And decent to drive but I can't get use to the awkwardly tilted wheel still!

I agree, very quick with an awkwardly tilted steering wheel. I've come to the realization that I need minivan room to haul the boys, dogs and hockey gear so the Jeep will be too small. I'll stick with my decision to buy the Explorer and learn to live with the steering wheel.

I agree, very quick with an awkwardly tilted steering wheel. I've come to the realization that I need minivan room to haul the boys, dogs and hockey gear so the Jeep will be too small. I'll stick with my decision to buy the Explorer and learn to live with the steering wheel.
I've been driving mine for 2 years and never once thought there was a problem with the steering wheel position. I don't think that this subject has ever been brought up before so it can't be too big a concern.

Peter

I've been driving mine for 2 years and never once thought there was a problem with the steering wheel position. I don't think that this subject has ever been brought up before so it can't be too big a concern.

Peter

Lol must not be. Just a nitpick that everyone that's driven our EX has noticed right off the bat.

Lol must not be. Just a nitpick that everyone that's driven our EX has noticed right off the bat.
Does adjusting the seat height help any? I know that I raised mine when I got it to get a better view (such as it is) of the front end. I also brought the gas/brake pedals up a bit. Can't recall if I changed the steering column.

Peter

Do you feel that the wheel is too horizontal or too vertical (ie, school bus). I thought it was a bit horizontal, but pretty much how most cars are now. I prefer this more in line style but I guess to each their own.

I feel that the top of the steering wheel is too far away from me and the bottom of the wheel is too close. I have the steering wheel all the way down and the rear of the bottom seat raised a bit. I don't really raise the back of the seat up much (even though I feel it needs it) because it like raises the whole seat when I do. I had a major problem with that in my '12 f150. But I think my problem is that I had an 07 silverado, 08 Tahoe, 08 avalanche, 09 Tahoe and a 12 suburban and it's the same steering wheel, and I had it all the way down and it changed the tilt as you lowered it. (And when i raised the back of the seat, only the back would raise, not the whole seat.) So by the time the wheel was adjusted all the way down, it was parallel with your chest. In the ex, the angle of the steering wheel does not change and it goes up or down, the wheel just literally slides up and down, maintaining its preset tilted angle. Does that make since? It's just something I'm having a hard time adjusting to, as whiney as it sounds lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also, find the steering wheel too vertical (bus like). I didn't seem to be able to improve the angle with the tilt. I hope to get used to it.

Back