• Register Today It's free!

control arm bushings

mikenike89

Reaction score
City, State
baltimore, maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
im looking for replacement lower rear control arm bushings. specifically the one closest to the wheel. supposedly everyone is telling my dad, including auto part stores and mechanics that they cant find these bushings. anyone know if theyre available and where so i can purchase the right ones online? thanks in advanced!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help you with the rear but I just replaced the front and MOOG brand control arms with new bushings and ball joints were very affordable on Amazon and rockauto.

Can't help you with the rear but I just replaced the front and MOOG brand control arms with new bushings and ball joints were very affordable on Amazon and rockauto.
Thanks for you input! I'm on the search now!

I am checking them out now! Thank you! So far I'm only seeing the bushing I've already bought for the mechanic. They're saying that only two of the bushings can be replaced, this bushing is only replaceable by replacing the whole arm. I find that crazy
It is because the control arm is cast aluminum. The cold-flow properties of aluminum mean that pressing out the old bushing with traditional methods would make the bore large enough that the new bushing would not be secure.

Or it would just break.

Or the specialized tools and experience to do it proper puts the repair above the replacement cost.

Actually the first mechanic tried to get he old bushing out and couldn't. I haven't taken it anywhere else yet. I'm not sure if there are any other methods besides "traditional methods" but I am researching now. Thank you!

Back