Rear lower control arm bushing replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear lower control arm bushing replacement?

zerodevil

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 White Limited V8
Hey everyone, I've been away for awhile again. I was wondering if anyone has had the bushings on the rear lower control arm replaced? Rock auto sells a rear bushing and a bushing for where the LCA joins with the knuckle. I am curious if they are DIY friendly, or if I am looking at taking them to a shop to be pressed in. I am knee deep in getting the rear suspension rebuilt, and the more worn components I can replace the better.

thanks in advance.

You would have to remove the rubber portion then with a saw, cut the metal portion allowing you to pry it out.
Vs
Removing the arm and taking it to a shop.

If you can get the arm off, the shop route will save you a lot if time and effort.

the rear control arm bushings that connects to the frame can be removed by improvising some tools (like a long bolt and washers) but if you have a press it will do the job easily. For the cross-axis ball joint (the one that connects to the knuckle) a ball joint separator kit (or front end kit) will do the job. I used a 12 ton press from Harbor Freight in my case.

https://www.facebook.com/diyfordexp...0528882348605/508202115914611/?type=3&theater

Thank you for the quick replies, I will likely just pull the arms and knuckle and have a shop press the new bushings while I do some other things on the truck. I am also replacing the Front high speed CV joint, all of the U joints, and the rear half shafts. Its going to be a busy weekend that's for sure.

Back