Conversion: A4LD to Manual- Kirbys 93 Navajo | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Conversion: A4LD to Manual- Kirbys 93 Navajo

Allright, got the crapped out a4ld out last night, gathered some parts and valuable info this morning(thanks Brett), and got the steering collumn and pedals out tonight. I hoping to have the thing ready for a tranny by tomarrow. Now just got to figure out what 5 speed to use... I will get some pics up soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need a good radiator and the I think I need linkage for the manual Tcase. I am not sure exactly what parts I need for the tcase, but I should be positive pretty soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the radiator i have in mine right now is really good..it's a modine, and under warranty for as long as i own my vehicle. You can use linkage from a ranger or bronco II with the fork like what i did...i paid 25 bux for it from a local yard. i had another member help me get a couple parts i was missing...but it works so i can't complain.

That is good info. I have some 1350 linkage. I don't have the case yet though, so I am having trouble telling if it will work. From research it looks like some will work and some won't. Let me know if you want to get rid of a radiator and what you want for it.

Kirby I am making a run tomorrow to the salvage yard and I will see if I can get the complete linkage for real cheap.

I only wish I was closer to doing the d20 and c4 swap in mine and I would include the linkage I have now.

T-case will be shipped on monday, so if I can get the linkage cheap I will toss it in the crate I am building tomorrow.

ok i'll have to let you know. can you take a pic of that linkage you have? it has to have a fork on the end of it to where it bolts to the transfer case. I can't remember who helped me with it, but he was a good guy with the info he had given me. don't forget to get a new gasket for the transfer case to the transmission. if i have any questions on the swap i'll get back to you if it's ok?

Thanks Kurt. I wish you were closer on your swap too. Don't stress it if you can't scrounge up linkage. I might have some in the yard, just not sure if I do;)

Swee, Feel free to call or whatever. I will take a pic orf what I got and maybe you can tell me if it will work. I know it is out of a 83 with a 2.8 carburated and a manual Tranny, thats about it.

i'm not 100% positive if that linkage will work or not. just look for that fork on the back end to where it bolts to the transfer case.

Alright! I worked on the front end all weekend. I got 4.56s in the front now with a Lockright. That front end is scary on the ice!! Works really well though! I had to tap 2 bolts on the housing b/c they were stripped! I got the front end used. I wish people would torque those stupid things.

Also, I tried to do a c-clip elimanator on the front passenger axle. I put the whole thing together minus the passenger side hub and shaft. Then I figured out that there was about 1/4" or less in my slip yoke for a spring. I had a perfect spring and cut it down until it wan't really a spring. I ended up pulling the whole thing apart and putting the CClip back in. I guess I get too much droop for that trick. I changed the UJoint and the seal so hopefully I will be good for a while.

It works really well. Still no low though. I am anxious to see how it works. Maybe I will take the shift motor off and shift it myself!

Also, I got some parts gathered at the yard for a hand throttle! I should get that done in a few weeks.

Swee- Hows it comming along? I didn't have any time to look at the 1350 linkage. It is actually sitting in my best friends yard. I will get over there this week maybe.

i am thinking that i am going to trade my manual tranny for a good auto tranny. so if anyone is looking to swap in a manual for an automatic let me know. if you can send me a pic of that linkage.

Swee- PM me with what you want for the manual. I might be interested in a spare...

Alright I got a pretty vague picture after I dug this transfercase out the snowbank. MSN is donw and I am a wannabe. Can I email you the pics Swee???

i don't have any pics of my linkage. i think the guys name is jrgaylor. don't quote me on that one. he may have some pics in his photo bank.

No, I have pics of the 1350 sitting in my buddies yard. I thought you might be able to tell if the linkage will work. I think that guy posted some pics for me. Maybe I should find that thread..

Back