Conversion Headers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Conversion Headers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If not! L&L Products have a good heavy-duty set, guarantied for life. They are short tubular type not a piece of pipe with little pipe connecting to each exhaust port.

I have a set on my Ranger conversion and they still look new, not even rust.

Check the pricing from Ford vs L&L and compare warranty.

Good Luck,

:usa: :chug: :ca:

Sandy,

With L&L headers would I have to notch the Frame rail?

The passenager side I had to but just a little (3/8").
I mark the area and used a metal eating bit in my hand grinder and cut in and then smoothed out the edges.
Make the cut a nice smooth line not a hack job, less chance of it cracking; sharp edges crack.

a couple people have used the 96+ explorer 5.0 headers. They will work on all 5.0 conversions.........

I did not like the 96 Explorer Headers... And I do not want to go with an After market header after I get the Motor in the Truck. It is Bad enought to change headers on a 4.0 in an Explorer I dont want to mess with a 5.0

I used duff headers... it only took some jiggling to get em in there.... Other than that... They bolt up, not too tough... they're the longer style header, and not a close manifold style... They should definately help for some free-er flowing exhaust.
Pete

The Motorsport Explorer hedders work great for the swap. I used them for the first swap I did and have a set for my own conversion.

Here is a pic of them. Dead Link Removed

If you want to get a set of cast manifolds then a set from a Maverick V8 or a 60's Mustang with a small block will work. These manifolds flow really poorly though.

any header?

What about a conversion using the GT40P heads. Will the same headers work? Any one know the angle diff between the GT and the GTp heads?

the Explorer 5.0 I have has regular GT40 head not the GT40p heads. I heard they did not start putting GT40p head on till 99 or 2000

The GT-40P heads were first put on the Explorer/Mountaineer in mid 98. They of course were the only head used from that point and on.

The hedders may work but I can not say for sure. The exhaust ports were moved requiring a change in the hedder. If you use the GT-40P heads it may be best to use the factory hedders. Ford only makes a hedder for the head to bolt into a Fox body Mustang and Mustang hedders will not work on the conversion unless you cut a huge hole in the right hand frame rail.

Does anyone have pics of the L&L headers?

I just got a set of headersandmotor mounts.

Saturday I test fit things and...

The motor mounts seem to work fine, nothing unexpected.

The headers #797304 (4WD 302 Ranger/Bronco II) don't even come close to fitting.
1) The driver side header interferes with the steering intermediate shaft big time, and lies right up against the frame rail at the exact point where the fuel lines are.
2) The passenger side don't bend down enough, they only have a slight angle and run into the firewall just at the bottom of the AC plenum.

I have a friend thathas a torn apart Bronco II so I went over there to see if there is anything different, I also compared my sons 1990 Bronco II. These headers wouldn't fit in either vehicle, especially the passenger side.

I will call them Monday to determine if these are just the incorrect headers, which I hope is the case. That is why I would like to see some pics.

Quality:
Mounts:
The mounts seem well done, but the bolt holes don't line up and some notching of the existing hole will be required on the passenger side. I forgot to match this on the BroncoII.

Headers:
The headers are pretty well made, the nickle coating is pretty good. But I would say that the welding job on the headers is only adaquate quality, not what I would call good. There is an extreme amount of over-beading on the inside of the collector, and it is a bit sloppy.

Back